View of the fjord
|Location||Sunnfjord, Sogn og Fjordane|
|Coordinates||61°28′17″N 5°26′51″E / 61.4713°N 5.4476°ECoordinates: 61°28′17″N 5°26′51″E / 61.4713°N 5.4476°E|
|Primary inflows||River Jølstra|
|Primary outflows||Brufjorden / Stavfjorden|
|Max. length||36 kilometres (22 mi)|
|Max. width||2 kilometres (1.2 mi)|
Førde Fjord (Norwegian: Førdefjorden) is a fjord in Sogn og Fjordane county, Norway. It is the longest of all the fjords in the traditional district of Sunnfjord. Førdefjorden passes through the municipalities of Førde, Naustdal, Askvoll, and Flora. The fjord begins at the town of Førde, at the estuary of the river Jølstra, which comes from the lake Jølstravatn. The water then travels west towards the town of Florø where the 36-kilometre (22 mi) long fjord splits into the Brufjorden and Stavfjorden before reaching the sea. The island of Svanøya lies just outside the mouth of Førdefjorden. There are roads along the shoreline on both the north and south sides of the fjord, and the European route E39 highway runs past the town of Førde, near Førdefjorden.
Nordic Mining have applied to deposit 6m tonnes of tailings a year for 50 years into the Fjord, prompting much opposition.
The following settlements are located along the Førdefjorden:
- Stavang (in Flora municipality), on the north side, at the mouth of the fjord
- Kvammen (in Askvoll municipality), on the south side, near the mouth of the fjord
- Indrevevring (in Naustdal municipality), on the north side, a little ways into the fjord
- Helle (in Naustdal municipality), on the north side, about the middle of the fjord
- Naustdal (the administrative centre of Naustdal municipality), on the north side, near the inner part of the fjord
- Førde (the adm. centre of Førde municipality), at the innermost part of the fjord
- Gjelsvik by Førdefjorden
- View of Førdefjorden towards southwest
- View of Førdefjorden towards southeast
- Sunset at Flensburger on Førdefjorden
- Store norske leksikon. "Førdefjorden" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- Paris, Natalie (2014-11-12). "Norway: Fight to keep fjord waste-free". Telegraph. Retrieved 2015-10-03.
- Vidal, John (2014-11-19). "Conservationists slam plans to dump mining waste into Norwegian fjord". The Guardian. Retrieved 2015-10-03.