From the time of his status as close advisor to Pope Innocent VIII, he became one of the salient figures of the papal court. He acted as papal nuncio to Switzerland. He became Bishop of Albano in 1546.
He died during the conclave that elected Pope Julius III, having himself been considered papabile. This is quite unlikely, since Filonardi was already eighty-three years old; he was not on any list of papabili provided by any of the Crowns; and he received not a single vote from the first ballot on 4 December to the day of his death on 19 December 1549.
- Catholic Encyclopedia: Veroli
- The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church - Conclaves by century
- J. P. Adams, Sede Vacante 1549-1550, retrieved: 2016-11-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ennio Filonardi.|
- (Italian) www.menteantica.it
- (Italian) www.verbanensia.org
- Ennio Filonardi in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.