English honorifics

In the English language, an English honorific is a title prefixing a person's name, e.g.: Miss, Ms, Mr, Sir, Mrs, Dr, Lady or Lord. They are not titles or positions that can appear without the person's name, as in the President or the Earl. Its prevalence in this article is not dependent on sanctions from official authorities. Some of them are more or less in line with traditional practices.

There are many forms of honorifics that are used when one addresses the members of the nobility, clergy, or royalty, mostly in countries that are monarchies. These include "Your Majesty", "Your Royal Highness" or simply "Your Highness", which are used to address certain members of royalty, or "My lord/lady" to address a peer other than a Duke, who is referred to as "Your Grace".

Some honorifics distinguish the sex of the person being referred to. Some titles of nobility and professional honorifics, such as the traditionally male-only Doctor or General, do not have gender-specific versions; women take the same form of the title as men.

Common titles

Formal titles

Dr/Professor Titles

Religious organizational titles




See also


  1. "ma'am - definition of ma'am in English from the Oxford dictionary". oxforddictionaries.com. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
  2. "Honoring the Priesthood". lds.org. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
  3. Ho, Engseng (2006). The graves of Tarim genealogy and mobility across the Indian Ocean. Berkeley: University of California Press. ISBN 978-0-520-93869-4. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 12/2/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.