|Literary movement||"Un bureau sur l'Atlantique"|
He grew up in Tangier, Morocco. He served as the editor of the small press Orange Export Ltd. and, with Claude Royet-Journoud, edited two anthologies of new American poets, 21+1: Poètes américains ď aujourďhui (with a corresponding English volume, 21+1 American Poets Today) and 49+1. In 1989, Hocquard founded and directed "Un bureau sur l'Atlantique", an association fostering relations between French and American poets.
Besides poetry, he has written essays, a novel, and translated American and Portuguese poets including Charles Reznikoff, Michael Palmer, Paul Auster, Benjamin Hollander, Antonio Cisneros, and Fernando Pessoa. With the artist Alexandre Delay, he made a video film, Le Voyage à Reykjavik.
Awards and honors
- 2013 Best Translated Book Award, shortlist, The Invention of Glass
Books in English translation
|French literary history|
- A Day in the Strait, translated by Maryann De Julio & Jane Staw, (Red Dust, New York, 1985); "narration"
- Late Additions, translated by Rosmarie Waldrop and Connell McGrath, "Serie d'Ecriture Nº 2", (Spectacular Diseases, Peterborough, UK, 1988); poems
- Elegies & Other Poems, translated by John A. Scott, (Shearsman Books, Plymouth, UK, 1989) ISBN 9780907562153; poetry
- Aerea in the Forests of Manhattan, translated by Lydia Davis, (The Marlboro Press, Marlboro, Vermont, 1992) ISBN 9780910395892; novel
- Of Mists and Clouds, translated by Mark Hutchinson, (The Noble Rider, Paris).
- Elegy 7, translated by Pam Rehm & Keith Waldrop, "Serie d'Ecriture Nº 7", (Burning Deck, Providence (RI), 1993); poetry
- Theory of Tables, translated by Michael Palmer, Afterword translation by Norma Cole, (Providence, RI: O-blek editions, 1994); poems
- The Garden of Sallust and other writings, translated by Mark Hutchinson, (The Noble Rider, Paris, 1995).
- The Library at Trieste, translated by Mark Hutchinson, (The Noble Rider, Paris) ISBN 9782950876218; a talk given in 1987 at the University of California, San Diego
- This Story Is Mine: Little Autobiographical Dictionary of Elegy translated by Norma Cole, (Instress, 1999); poems
- Codicil & Plan for Pond 4, translated by Ray DiPalma & Juliette Valéry, (The Post Apollo Press, 1999) ISBN 9780942996395; poems
- A Test of Solitude: Sonnets, translated by Rosmarie Waldrop, (Burning Deck, Providence (RI), 2000) ISBN 9781886224339; poems
- Conditions of Light, translated by Jean-Jacques Poucel, (Fence Books/La Presse, 2010) ISBN 9781934200193; poems
- The Invention of Glass, translated by Cole Swensen and Rod Smith, (Canarium Books, 2012) ISBN 9780982237694; poems
- Homepage at durationpress.com
- Chad W. Post. "2013 Best Translated Book Award: The Poetry Finalists". Three Percent. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Un bureau sur l'Atlantique" site at EPC, includes detailed description of this organization
- Homepage at durationpress.com includes a transcribed conversation with Royet-Journoud & poems
- Steve Evans reviews "Un test de solitude" from Jacket Magazine
- This Story is Mine at the Wayback Machine (archived 30 September 2007), a site providing an interactive reading of this Hocquard book
- Audio-files @ PENNsound listen to Hocquard read from his work
- AUTEURS INVITéS: Emmanuel Hocquard In French. Describes Hocquard in terms of "la modernité négative".
- Emmanuel Hocquard and The Poetry of Negative Modernity a synopsis of a book project by Glenn W. Fetzer, for which he was awarded a Camargo Foundation Fellowship: 2003 (Winter-Spring)
- French Poetry since 1950: Tendencies III by Jean-Michel Maulpoix
- Hocquard's cartographies at the Wayback Machine (archived 30 September 2007) essay by Glenn Fetzer, published by Symposium: 22 June 2002, and available at accessmylibrary.com
- A Formal Type of Work: Rereading Emmanuel Hocquard by Norma Cole