Elisabeth of Mecklenburg-Güstrow
|Elisabeth of Mecklenburg-Güstrow|
|Duchess consort of Saxe-Merseburg-Spremberg|
|Duchess consort of Saxe-Merseburg|
3 September 1668|
25 August 1738 69) (aged|
|Spouse||Henry, Duke of Saxe-Merseburg|
|Issue||Princess Christiana Fredericka|
|Father||Gustav Adolph, Duke of Mecklenburg-Güstrow|
|Mother||Magdalene Sibylle of Holstein-Gottorp|
Elisabeth of Mecklenburg-Güstrow (3 September 1668 - 25 August 1738), was a German noblewoman member of the House of Mecklenburg and by marriage Duchess of Saxe-Merseburg-Spremberg (during 1692-1731) and Saxe-Merseburg (during 1731-1738).
Born in Güstrow, she was the tenth of eleven children born from the marriage of Gustav Adolph, Duke of Mecklenburg-Güstrow and Magdalene Sibylle of Holstein-Gottorp. From her ten older and younger siblings, eight survive adulthood: Marie (by marriage Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz), Magdalene, Sophie (by marriage Duchess of Württemberg-Oels), Christine (by marriage Countess of Stolberg-Gedern), Charles, Hereditary Prince of Mecklenburg-Güstrow, Hedwig (by marriage Duchess of Saxe-Merseburg-Zörbig), Louise (by marriage Queen of Denmark and Norway) and Augusta.
In Güstrow on 29 March 1692, Elisabeth married Prince Henry of Saxe-Merseburg, fourth surviving son of Duke Christian I. Two years later (1694), Henry received the town of Spremberg as his appanage, and took his residence there.
- Maurice, Hereditary Prince of Saxe-Spremberg (Spremberg, 29 October 1694 - Spremberg, 11 April 1695).
- Christiana Fredericka (Spremberg, 17 May 1697 - Spremberg, 21 August 1722).
- Gustava Magdalena (Spremberg, 2 October 1699 - Spremberg, 3 October 1699).
Elisabeth became Duchess of Saxe-Merseburg in 1731 after her husband inherited the main domains of the family as their last surviving male member. She died in Doberlug in 1738, aged 69, having survived her husband for one month. She was buried in Merseburg Cathedral.
- Gustav Adolf Herzog v.Mecklenburg-Güstrow in: Genealogy Database by Herbert Stoyan [retrieved 7 October 2014].
- Marek, Miroslav. "Genealogy of the House of Mecklenburg". genealogy.euweb.cz. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- Elisabeth Herzogin v.Mecklenburg-Güstrowin: Genealogy Database by Herbert Stoyan [retrieved 7 October 2014].
- Elisabeth von Mecklenburg-Güstrow in: thePeerage.com [retrieved 7 October 2014].
- Marek, Miroslav. "Genealogy of the House of Wettin". genealogy.euweb.cz. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- Mecklenburg line in: Royaltyguide.nl [retrieved 7 October 2014].
Elisabeth of Mecklenburg-GüstrowBorn: 3 September 1668 Died: 25 August 1738
|New creation||Duchess consort of Saxe-Merseburg-Spremberg
|Merged to the Duchy of Saxe-Merseburg|
Henriette Charlotte of Nassau-Idstein
|Duchess consort of Saxe-Merseburg
|Duchy reverted to the Electorate of Saxony|