Elena Asenina of Bulgaria
Elena was the sister of emperor Kaliman I of Bulgaria and princess Tamara of Bulgaria. Her maternal grandparents were king Andrew II of Hungary and Gertrude of Merania. On the paternal side, Emperor Ivan Asen I of Bulgaria and Elena of Bulgaria.
Her husband died in 1258 and their son, John IV Laskaris, who was only seven years old, became emperor.
Elena and Theodore had three children:
- John IV Laskaris, emperor between 1258 and 1261
- Irene Doukaina Laskarina, who married Constantine Tikh of Bulgaria (r. 1257-1277)
- Maria Doukaina Laskarina, who married Nikephoros I Komnenos Doukas of Epirus.
- Cawley, Charles (2006–2007). "Ivan Asen II 1218–1241, Koloman I 1241–1246, Mihail II Asen 1246–1257". Medieval Lands. Foundation for Medieval Genealogy.
- John Van Antwerp Fine Jr., The Late Medieval Balkans, Ann Arbor, 1987.
- The Oxford Dictionary of Byzantium, Oxford University Press, 1991.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "article name needed". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
Elena Asenina of BulgariaBorn: ? Died: ?
Constance II of Hohenstaufen
|Empress consort of Nicaea
| Succeeded by|
Theodora Doukaina Vatatzina