Electronic Payment Services
|Operating area||Hong Kong|
Electronic Payment Services (Chinese: 易辦事), commonly known as EPS, is the largest electronic payment system in Hong Kong, Macau starting from 1985. The service is provided by EPS Company (Hong Kong) Limited. Currently there are over 25,000 acceptance locations.
Established in 1984, EPS Company (Hong Kong) Limited (formerly Electronic Payment Services Company) is currently a consortium of 21 major banks in Hong Kong.
In each retail location, a terminal is installed and is usually connected to the POS system of the retailer. The terminal may also be independently connected to banks through the public phone system.
Service at consumer level
EPS (易辦事) entails the simple use of an ATM card or a credit card with ATM capability issued by a member bank of the EPS. No application for the service is required.
The EPS device is a dual-unit device consisting of a removable card processor and a stationary base that serves as a charger and data link. This is the flow of a typical transaction by EPS:
|Customer:||Hands over the card|
|Retailer:||Inserts the card into the processor and keys in the transaction amount|
|Retailer gives the processor to the customer|
|Customer:||Confirms the amount, selects the desired account, enters the PIN|
|Customer returns the processor to the retailer|
|Retailer:||Docks the processor to the base unit|
|The base communicates with the EPS server and prints out a slip indicating approval or rejection|
|Retailer:||Hands the receipt to the customer|
Some retailers may use an integrated machine. In such situations, the customer inserts the card into the machine directly and waits for the retailer's acknowledgement before proceeding to the rest of the steps.
EPS EasyCash service
EPS EasyCash (提款易) allows card holders to withdraw cash at over 1,200 locations in Hong Kong upon a regular purchase by EPS. The cash withdrawal amount must be in units of $100, up to $500. EPS EasyCash service is also commonly known as Cashback.
EPS EasyCash service is available at Hong Kong based chain stores such as Gourmet, Great, IKEA, Mannings, MarketPlace, Massimo Dutti, Circle K, Oliver's, Parknshop, Taste, ThreeSixty, Vango, China Resources Vanguard (CRV), V'ole and Wellcome.
EPS Company Member Bank List
- Bank of China (Hong Kong) Limited
- Bank of Communications, HK Branch
- China Construction Bank (Asia)
- China Merchants Bank Company Limited
- Chiyu Banking Corporation Limited
- Chong Hing Bank Limited
- Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited
- Citic Ka Wah Bank Limited
- Dah Sing Bank Limited
- DBS Bank (Hong Kong) Limited
- Fubon Bank (Hong Kong) Limited
- Hang Seng Bank Limited
- The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC)
- ICBC (Asia)
- Mevas Bank Limited
- Nanyang Commercial Bank Limited
- Shanghai Commercial Bank Limited
- Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited
- The Bank of East Asia Limited
- Wing Hang Bank Limited
- Wing Lung Bank Limited
- "EPS Company (Hong Kong) Limited". www.eps.com.hk. Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- Official website (English) (traditional Chinese (HK)) (Chinese)