Electoral district of Murray (Victorian Legislative Council)
|District of Murray|
Location in Victoria 1851–1855
Murray was defined as: "Bounded on the south and west by the Counties of Evelyn and Anglesey and the River Goulburn to its junction with the Murray on the north and north-east by the River Murray and on the south-east by the dividing range (Alps)."
A new district, Ovens, was created in 1855 which was contained within the original boundaries of Murray.
From 1856 onwards, the Victorian parliament consisted of two houses, the Victorian Legislative Council (upper house, consisting of Provinces) and the Victorian Legislative Assembly (lower house). Coordinates: 36°30′S 146°30′E / 36.500°S 146.500°E
Members of Murray
|Francis Murphy||Nov 1851 – Mar 1853[r]||Member 2||Term|
|Francis Murphy||Aug 1853 – Mar 1856||Matthew Hervey||Aug 1853 – Mar 1856|
r = resigned
Hervey went on to represent Eastern Province (November 1856 to July 1865) in the Victorian Legislative Council.
Murphy went on to represent the Electoral district of Murray Boroughs (November 1856 to December 1865) in the Victorian Legislative Assembly.
- Electoral district of Murray (disambiguation)
- Parliaments of the Australian states and territories
- List of members of the Victorian Legislative Council
- "Victorian Electoral Act" (PDF). New South Wales Government. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- "An Act to further alter "The Victoria Electoral Act of 1851" and to increase the Number of Members of the Legislative Council of Victoria. (Assented to 22nd May, 1855.)" (PDF). Australasian Legal Information Institute. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- Edward Sweetman (1920). Constitutional Development of Victoria, 1851-6. Whitcombe & Tombs Limited. p. 182. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "Murphy, Sir Francis". re-member: a database of all Victorian MPs since 1851. Parliament of Victoria. Retrieved 13 August 2014.