Elections in Iran
|This article is part of a series on the|
|Politics of the|
Islamic Republic of Iran
|Government of Islamic Republic of Iran|
Iran elects on national level a head of state and head of government (the president), a legislature (the Majlis), and an "Assembly of Experts" (which elects the Supreme Leader). Also City and Village Council elections are held every four years throughout the country. The president is elected for a four-year term by the people. The Parliament or Islamic Consultative Assembly (Majlis-e Shura-ye Eslami) has 290 members, elected for a four-year term in multi- and single-seat constituencies. Elections for the Assembly of Experts are held every eight years. All candidates have to be approved by the Guardian Council. See Politics of Iran for more details.
Until January 2007, when it was raised to 18, the voting age was 15 years, the lowest globally at the time.
The most recent presidential election and the most recent local elections were held on 14 June 2013, simultaneously for the first time. The most recent parliamentary election and the most recent Assembly of Experts elections were held on 26 February 2016.
2017 presidential election
2017 local election
Elections since 1979
2016 Assembly of Experts election
2016 parliamentary election
2013 presidential election
The 2013 Iranian presidential election was held on 14 June 2013. Hassan Rouhani was elected to succeed outgoing President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
|Hassan Rouhani||Moderation and Development Party||18,613,329||50.88|
|Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf||Progress and Justice Population||6,077,292||16.46|
|Saeed Jalili||Stability Front||4,168,946||11.31|
|Mohsen Rezaee||Resistance Front||3,884,412||10.55|
|Ali Akbar Velayati||Front of Followers||2,268,753||6.16|
|Blank or invalid votes||1,245,409||3.42|
|Total votes cast||36,704,156||100|
|Sources: Ministry of Interior of Iran|
2013 local elections
2012 parliamentary election
2006 Assembly of Experts election
- O'Toole, Pam (12 March 2008). "Iran's first-time voters split". BBC News. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- 2013 Iranian general elections
- Iran's local elections will be held with presidential
- Election Data Archives
- The Outcome of Iran’s Parliamentary Elections
- Iran Data Portal, Princeton University
- Iran Electoral Archive, Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies
- Results of parliamentary elections, Inter-Parliamentary Union
- Psephos, Adam Carr's Election Archive
- 2009 Iranian elections page on BBC Persian
- BBC Persian on Iran presidential elections
- Video Archive of Iranian Elections