Railway Hotel at Elaine
|Coordinates||37°46′S 144°01′E / 37.767°S 144.017°ECoordinates: 37°46′S 144°01′E / 37.767°S 144.017°E|
|Population||325 (2011 census)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Moorabool|
The railway came to the town with the opening of the Geelong-Ballarat line in 1862, with the local railway station opened soon after, but today only grain and freight trains use the line. The Post Office opened on 1 March 1859 as Mount Doran and was renamed Elaine in 1872. Elaine Railway Station Post Office, some distance away, opened on 14 April 1873. In 1877 the latter office was renamed Elaine, and Elaine reverted to the earlier name of Mount Doran.
Elaine is home to a Serbian Orthodox monastery with five monks and two nuns.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elaine, Victoria.|
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Elaine (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "Rail Geelong - Geelong Line Guide". www.railgeelong.com. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Retrieved 2008-04-11.
- "Geelong Advertiser: Monastery a hidden sanctuary". Retrieved 2011-03-16.