Edzard II, Count of East Frisia
|Counts of East Frisia|
Edzard II, count of East Frisia
24 June 1532|
1 March 1599 66) (aged|
|Spouse||Katarina of Sweden|
|Mother||Anna of Oldenburg|
During his reign, he came into conflict with the city of Emden. Edzard was a staunch Lutheran while the city of Emden was mostly Calvinistic. In 1595 Emden revolted and, after an intercession by the Calvinistic Dutch Republic, Edzard was forced to accept a large degree of independence from Emden.
Edzard II had a dispute with his dominant mother, Anna. She had abolished his right of primogeniture, in an attempt to curb the influence of the Swedish royal family. She decreed that Edzard should rule East Frisia jointly with his younger brothers Johan and Christopher. When Christopher died early, Edzard ran into a strong and almost hateful rivalry with his brother Johan II. The power struggle between two increasingly hamstrung their government. After Johan died in 1591, Edzard became the sole ruler, but his authority had been severely hit by the ongoing conflict.
In 1595, the city of Emden revolted. In the course of this Emden Revolution, the Cirksena family were driven out of Emden. Under pressure from the Dutch States General, Edzard signed on 5 July 1595 the Treaty of Delfzijl, which gave Emden a large degree of independence.
Edzard died on 1 March 1599. The Great Church at Emden refused to allow him to be buried in the Cirksena family vault, because he was a Lutheran and it was a Reformed church. He was buried on 13 May 1599 in the St. Lambert Church in Aurich. He was the first member of the Cirksena family to be buried there. However, all later family members were buried in this church, until the family died out in 1744.
Marriage and issue
Married to Katarina Vasa, daughter of King Gustav I of Sweden, on October 1, 1559 in Stockholm. He was the only ruler of East Frisia who ever married a princess. Through this marriage, the Swedish royal family sought to secure their influence on the North Sea coast.
They had the following children:
- Margareta of East Frisia, 1560–1588
- Anna of Ostfriesland, 1562–1621, married:
- Enno III of East Frisia, 1563–1625, (ancestor of Queen Victoria), married
- John III of Rietberg, born 1566, died 29 September 1625, married:
- Christopher of East Frisia, 1569–1636, married:
- on 13 August 1613, Lambertine de Ligne (1593-1651)
- Edzard of East Frisia, 1572?-1573
- Elizabeth of East Frisia, 1572?-1573
- Sophia of East Frisia, 1574–1630
- Karl Otto of East Frisia, 1577-1603.
- Maria of East Frisia, 1582–1616, married:
- on 1 September 1614, Julius Ernst of Braunschweig-Dannenberg (1571-1636); she was his first wife
|Ancestors of Edzard II, Count of East Frisia|
Edzard II, Count of East FrisiaBorn: 24 June 1532 Died: 1 March 1599
Anna of Oldenburg
|Count of East Frisia
| Succeeded by|