Edward Gallagher (actor)
|Edward Francis Gallagher|
San Francisco, California
March 28, 1929 (aged 55)|
Helen Gallagher (Solomon) (3rd)|
Anne Luther (4th)
Edward Francis Gallagher (1873 – March 28, 1929) was a vaudeville actor and half of the act Gallagher and Shean. Their story was told in an animated movie Mr. Gallagher and Mr. Shean (1931) by Max Fleischer and Dave Fleischer, who also created Koko the Clown and Betty Boop. Gallagher and Shean also reportedly made an early sound film at the Theodore Case studio in Auburn, New York, in 1925.
He was born in 1873 in San Francisco, California.
For fifteen years, Gallagher partnered with Joe Barrett in a comedy act that was best known for military burlesques, particularly "The Battle of Too Soon." Gallagher subsequently teamed with Al Shean to create the act Gallagher and Shean. While the act was successful, the men apparently did not like each other much.
Gallagher first performed with Shean in 1912 in the operetta The Rose Maid, which ran for 176 performances at the Globe Theatre in New York. The duo broke up in 1914, not performing again until 1920 stayedI but then stayed together until 1925. They had a featured part in the 1922 Ziegfeld Follies, earning a salary of US$1500 a week (approximately $21,000 today).
His fourth wife was actress Anne Luther.
- "Ed Gallagher Dies, Won Fame with Shean". New York Times. May 29, 1929. Retrieved 2014-11-29.
Member of Noted Vaudeville Team Never Recovered From Breakdown Four Years Ago.
- Mr. Gallagher and Mr. Shean at the Internet Movie Database
- "Gallagher and Shean". CBX Media. 2003-11-19. Retrieved February 21, 2008.
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of Theatre and Performance uses San Leandro, California
- Slide, Anthony (2012). The Encyclopedia of Vaudeville. Univ. Press of Mississippi. p. 204. ISBN 1-61703-250-6
- Slide, Anthony (2012). The Encyclopedia of Vaudeville. Univ. Press of Mississippi. pp. 203. ISBN 1-61703-250-6
- Slide, Anthony (2012). The Encyclopedia of Vaudeville. University Press of Mississippi. pp. 204–205. ISBN 1-61703-250-6
- Edward Gallagher at Find a Grave
- Edward Gallagher at the Internet Movie Database
- Edward Gallagher at the Internet Broadway Database