List of kings of the Lombards
The Kings of the Lombards or reges Langobardorum (singular rex Langobardorum) were the monarchs of the Lombard people from the early 6th century until the Lombardic identity became lost in the 9th and 10th centuries. After 568, the Lombard kings sometimes styled themselves Kings of Italy (rex totius Italiae). After 774, they were not Lombards, but Franks. The Iron Crown of Lombardy (Corona Ferrea) was used for the coronation of the Lombard kings and the kings of Italy thereafter for centuries.
The primary sources for the Lombard kings before the Frankish conquest are the anonymous 7th-century Origo Gentis Langobardorum and the 8th-century Historia Langobardorum of Paul the Deacon. The earliest kings (the pre-Lethings) listed in the Origo are almost certainly legendary. They purportedly reigned during the Migration Period. The first ruler attested independently of Lombard tradition is Tato.
- Ybor and Agio, brothers, together with their mother Gambara, who led the emigration from Scandinavia
- Agilmund, son of Agio
- Laiamicho (Lamissio)
- Lethuc (fl. c. 400), ruled for some 40 years.
- Aldihoc (mid-5th century)
- Godehoc (480s), led the Lombards into modern-day Austria
- Claffo (fl. c. 500)
- Tato (early 6th century, died perhaps 510), his son Ildichus died in exile
- Wacho (510–539), son of Unichus
- Waltari (539–546), son of Wacho
Kings in Italy
- Alboin (565 - 572)
- Cleph (572 - 574)
- Rule of the Dukes (Ten year interregnum)
- Adaloald (c.616 - c.626)
- Arioald (c.626 - 636)
Bavarian Dynasty, First Restoration
Bavarian Dynasty, Second Restoration
- Perctarit (671 - 688) (restored from exile)
- Alahis (688 - 689), rebel
- Cunincpert (688 - 700)
- Liutpert (700 - 701)
- Raginpert (701)
- Aripert II (701 - 712)
- Ansprand (712)
- Liutprand (712 - 744)
- Hildeprand (744)
- Ratchis (744 - 749)
- Aistulf (749 - 756)
- Desiderius (756 - 774)
Charlemagne conquered the Lombards in 774 at the invitation of Pope Adrian I.
- Charlemagne (774-781) in personal union, passed kingship to third son, Pippin
- Pepin (781-810) king under authority of Charlemagne
- Bernard (810-818)
- Lothair I (818-839)
- Louis II (839–875)
- "German Tribes org Lombard Kings". GermanTribes.org. Archived from the original on 2010-07-18. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- Oman, Charles. The Dark Ages 476-918. London, 1914.