Earl of Normanton
Earl of Normanton is a title in the Peerage of Ireland. It was created in 1806 for Charles Agar, 1st Viscount Somerton, Archbishop of Dublin. He had already been created Baron Somerton, of Somerton in the County of Kilkenny, in 1795 and Viscount Somerton, of Somerton in the County of Kilkenny, in 1800, also in the Peerage of Ireland. Lord Normanton sat in the House of Lords from 1800 to 1809 as one of the 28 original Irish Representative Peers. His grandson, the third Earl, represented Wilton in Parliament from 1841 to 1852. In 1873 he was created Baron Somerton, of Somerley in the County of Southampton, in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. This peerage gave the Earls an automatic seat in the House of Lords. As of 2014 the titles are held by the third Earl's great-grandson, the sixth Earl, who succeeded his father in 1967.
The first Earl of Normanton was the younger brother of James Agar, 1st Viscount Clifden and the nephew of the politician Welbore Ellis. The latter was in 1794 created Baron Mendip, with remainder to his nephews Lord Clifden, the future Lord Normanton and a younger brother of theirs. On Lord Mendip's death in 1802 the barony passed according to the special remainder to his great-nephew the second Viscount Clifden. The titles remained united until 1974, when the viscountcy became extinct. However, the barony of Mendip survived, and was inherited by the sixth Earl of Normanton, who became the ninth Baron Mendip as well.
Earls of Normanton (1806)
- Charles Agar, 1st Earl of Normanton (1736–1809)
- Welbore Ellis Agar, 2nd Earl of Normanton (1778–1868)
- James Charles Herbert Welbore Ellis Agar, 3rd Earl of Normanton (1818–1896)
- Sidney James Agar, 4th Earl of Normanton (1865–1933)
- Edward John Sidney Christian Welbore Ellis Agar, 5th Earl of Normanton (1910–1967)
- Shaun James Christian Welbore Ellis Agar, 6th Earl of Normanton (born 1945)
The heir apparent is the present holder's only son James Shaun Christian Welbore Ellis Agar, Viscount Somerton (born 1982).
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Shaun James Christian Welbore Ellis Agar, 6th Earl of Normanton