Durham Cathedral Priory
Durham Priory was a Benedictine priory associated with Durham Cathedral, located in Durham in the North-East of England. It was founded in 1083 and was dissolved led to the replacement of the house with a college of secular canons led by a dean in 1540. The head was the Prior of Durham.
The cloister of Durham Cathedral
|Dedicated to||St Cuthbert|
|Location||Durham, County Durham, England|
Historically, Durham Priory was one of the most important land owners in County Durham along with the Bishop of Durham until the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII. Until that point, Durham Priory was home to between 50 and 100 Benedictine monks. Durham was the largest and richest of the monasteries associated with Durham; the other cells were located in Coldingham Priory (until 1462), Jarrow and Monk Wearmouth, Finchale, Farne, Holy Island, Lythe, Stamford and Durham College, Oxford (after 1381).