Dungarvan (UK Parliament constituency)
Former Borough constituency|
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||West Waterford|
This constituency was the Parliamentary borough of Dungarvan in County Waterford. Until the Parliamentary Boundaries (Ireland) Act, 1832 (passed alongside the Irish Reform Act 1832) it was coterminous with the manor of Dungarvan, and the franchise was exercised by potwallopers of the town and forty shilling freeholders of the manor. Commissioners appointed in 1832 and 1836 to revise Irish parliamentary borough boundaries described the old border as "supposed to contain about 10,000 Statute Acres" and with an "ill defined" boundary; their accompanying map shows several detached parts and enclaves. Although the 1832 commissioners suggested radical simplification in the boundary, the only change in 1832 was to exclude the detached parts and include the enclosed enclaves to create a single area. This boundary is marked in violet on the Ordnance Survey of Ireland's six-inch map, published a few years later. The 1836 commissioners recommended a much smaller boundary, including the urban area and suburbs while excluding the large rural hinterland.
Members of Parliament
|1806||Hon. George Walpole||Whig|
|1820||Augustus William James Clifford||Whig|
|1822||Hon. George Lamb||Whig|
|1841||Richard Lalor Sheil|
|1851||Charles Ponsonby, later Baron de Mauley|
|1852||John Francis Maguire|
|1865||Charles Robert Barry|
|1877||Frank Hugh O'Cahan O'Donnell|
- The Parliaments of England by Henry Stooks Smith (1st edition published in three volumes 1844-50), 2nd edition edited (in one volume) by F.W.S. Craig (Political Reference Publications 1973)
- Parliamentary Election Results in Ireland, 1801-1922, edited by B.M. Walker (Royal Irish Academy 1978)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "D" (part 4)
- Instructions by Secretary for Ireland, respecting Cities and Boroughs in Ireland sending Representatives to Parliament; Reports of Commissioners. Sessional papers. Vol.43 No.519. Sessional papers. 8 June 1832. pp. 65–68. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "Dungarvan". Reports and instructions by Lord Lieutenant, with reference to boundaries and divisions of cities, boroughs and towns corporate in Ireland. Sessional papers. Vol.29 No.301. 10 May 1837. pp. 78–80.
- Lewis, Samuel (1837). "Appendix, Shewing the Boundaries of the Cities and Boroughs in Ireland, as adopted and defined by the Act passed in the 2nd and 3rd of William IV., cap. 89, intituled "An Act to settle and describe the Limits of Cities, Towns, and Boroughs in Ireland, in so far as respects the Election of Members to serve in Parliament."". A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland:.
- "Six-inch map centred on Dungarvan, showing parliamentary boundary". Mapviewer. Ordnance Survey Ireland. 1839–41. Retrieved 11 February 2015.