Duke of Lafões
Duke of Lafões (in Portuguese Duque de Lafões) was a Portuguese title of nobility created under the decree of February 17, 1718, of King John V of Portugal and granted to his nephew, Dom Pedro Henrique de Bragança, son of the Infante Miguel de Bragança, an illegitimate son of King Peter II of Portugal and Anne Armande Pastre de Verger, though Pedro's mother, Luisa Casimira de Sousa Nassau e Ligne was the first to use this title.The title was later passed on to his brother, João Carlos de Bragança e Ligne de Sousa Tavares Mascarenhas da Silva, the most famous Duke of this title.
List of the dukes of Lafões
Luísa Casimira de Sousa Nassau e Ligne, Duchess of Lafões (1694–1729), married to Infante Miguel of Braganza (natural son of king Peter II of Portugal), was the first to use this title. However, she is not included in the list of Dukes, once King John V's decree granted the title to Luísa's older son:
- D. Luísa Antónia Inês Casimira de Sousa Nassau e Ligne (1694-1729)
- D. Pedro de Bragança e Ligne Sousa Tavares Mascarenhas da Silva (1718-1761)
- D. João Carlos de Bragança e Ligne Sousa Tavares Mascarenhas da Silva (1719-1806)
- D. Ana de Bragança e Ligne Sousa Tavares Mascarenhas da Silva (1797-1851)
- D. Maria Carlota de Bragança e Ligne Sousa Tavares Mascarenhas da Silva (1820-1865)
- D. Caetano de Bragança e Ligne Sousa Tavares Mascarenhas da Silva (1856-1927)
- D. Afonso de Bragança (1893-1946)
- D. Lopo de Bragança (1921-2008)
- D. Afonso Caetano de Barros e Carvalhosa de Bragança (1956- )
The House of Lafões descends from the marriage between Infante Miguel of Braganza (King Peter II's natural son) and Luísa-Casimira, 30th representative of the House of Sousa and 6th Countess of Miranda do Corvo.
Peter II Charles-Joseph<---1684--->Mariana Luisa de Sousa (1648–1706) (1661–1713) | (1672–1743) King of Portugal Prince of Ligne | 2nd Marchioness of Arronches | | 5th Countess of Miranda do Corvo | | __________|......... | | : | | : | John V Miguel of Braganza<----1715----->Luísa-Casimira (1689–1750) (1699–1724) | de Sousa Nassau e Ligne King of Portugal Infante | (1694–1729) | | Duchess of Lafões | | 6th Countess of Miranda do Corvo | | | __________|__________ | | | Royal House of Portugal Pedro-Henrique João Schwartz (1718–1761) (1719–1806) 1st.Duke of Lafões 2nd.Duke of Lafões | | | House of Lafões
- Dukes of Miranda do Corvo
- Marquis of Arronches
- Count of Miranda do Corvo
- List of Portuguese Dukedoms
- ”Nobreza de Portugal e do Brasil" – Vol. III, pages 665/669. Published by Zairol Lda., Lisbon 1989.
- "D.João Carlos de Bragança, 2º Duque de Lafões - Uma Vida Singular no Século das Luzes" - Nuno Gonçalo Monteiro and Fernando Dores Costa. Edições Inapa. 2006