Dublin St James's (UK Parliament constituency)
|Dublin St James's|
Former Borough constituency|
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||1|
|Created from||Dublin St Patrick's and South Dublin|
St James's, a division of Dublin, was a UK parliamentary constituency in Ireland. It returned one Member of Parliament (MP) to the British House of Commons 1918–1922, using the first past the post electoral system.
Prior to the 1918 general election, the city was divided into four constituencies: the Dublin College Green, Dublin Harbour, Dublin St Patrick's and Dublin St Stephen's Green constituencies. In 1918, the city was allocated seven seats: St James's, the existing four constituencies, Dublin Clontarf and Dublin St Michan's.
From the dissolution of 1922, the area was no longer represented in the UK Parliament.
This constituency comprised part of the city of Dublin.
Sinn Féin used the election of 1918 to elect members of the Irish Republic's First Dáil. In Republican theory every MP elected in Ireland was entitled to become a Teachta Dála (known in English as a Deputy) in the Dáil, although only the Sinn Féin members participated.
Members of Parliament
|1918||Joseph McGrath||Sinn Féin|
|Sinn Féin||Joseph McGrath||6,256||80.08||N/A|
|Independent Nationalist||John Saturnus Kelly||1,556||19.92||N/A|
|Sinn Féin gain from new seat||Swing||N/A|
- Parliamentary Election Results in Ireland, 1801–1922, edited by B.M. Walker (Royal Irish Academy 1978)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 1)