Dublin County Council
|Dublin County Council |
Bhaile Átha Cliath
|County council of County Dublin|
Coat of arms of Dublin County Council
|Preceded by||Grand Jury|
Fingal County Council,|
South Dublin County Council,
Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council
Beart do réir ár mbriathar (Irish)|
"Action to match our speech"
|O'Connell Street, Dublin|
Dublin County Council (Irish: Comhairle Contae Bhaile Átha Cliath) was a local authority for the administrative county of County Dublin in the Republic of Ireland. It was established by the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898.
The County Council and the Corporation of Dún Laoghaire were abolished in 1994, by an Act of the Oireachtas, the Local Government (Dublin) Act, 1993, and replaced with three administrative counties; Fingal to the north, Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown to the southeast and South Dublin to the southwest.
The Dublin Regional Authority is the statutory authority that currently has functions in the city and greater metropolitan area, these relate mainly to cooperation and coordination of agencies, the authorities membership is from the councils in the areas concerned.
Dublin County Council offices were located on Parnell Square and due to space requirements in the '70s transferred to O'Connell Street, Dublin City Both properties were transferred to the Fingal County Council on abolition of DCC. The offices were a key location in the events described in the Mahon Tribunal – a tribunal which inquired into re-zoning and planning irregularities in the 1980s in County Dublin.
The motto on its coat of arms was Beart do réir ár mbriathar in Irish which means Action to match our speech.
- "Local Government (Dublin) Act, 1993, Section 9.—(1)". Irish Statute Book – Office of the Attorney General. Retrieved 28 May 2011.
On the establishment day — (a) the county shall cease to exist, (b) the borough shall cease to exist, (c) the electoral counties shall cease to exist, and (d) the united district of the burial board shall cease to exist.