The town hall of Doué-la-Fontaine
|Coordinates: 47°11′38″N 0°16′28″W / 47.1939°N 0.2744°WCoordinates: 47°11′38″N 0°16′28″W / 47.1939°N 0.2744°W|
|Region||Pays de la Loire|
|• Mayor||Jean-Pierre Pohu|
|Area1||35.9 km2 (13.9 sq mi)|
|• Density||210/km2 (540/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||49125 / 49700|
48–105 m (157–344 ft) |
(avg. 76 m or 249 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The town was already Vetus Doadum ("Old Doadum"), Teotuadum castrum, in Late Antiquity, identifiable in a document of 631 as Castrum Doe. The foundations of a 6th-century circular baptistery beside the natural springs has been uncovered beneath the ruins of the pre-Romanesque church of Saint-Léger, itself destroyed in the 17th century. It was the site of a Gallo-Roman villa that was inherited by the Carolingians. In his villa here, Theoduadum palatium, Louis the Pious was informed of the death of his father Charlemagne in 814 and hurried to Aachen to be crowned. The villa was turned into a motte in the 10th century, around which the village developed, in part in excavated troglodyte dwellings. In 1055 the site was identified as Doedus, then Docium in 1177.
Doué-la-Fontaine is the site of the oldest habitable donjon (keep) in France, dating back to the year 900. No traces of Doué's medieval fortifications remains, save the names of "gates" given to certain streets. The castle is widely believed to have been the first European castle to be built out of stone (at around 950).
Nearby are the troglodyte dwellings, where the inhabitants took refuges from the Normans, and commercial mushroom-growing caves. The stone of Doué-la-Fontaine was quarried for sarcophagi 4 km (2.5 mi) from the town. The Zoo of Doué-la-Fontaine is partly built within the network of the troglodytes sites and dwellings. Recently, a cave containing sarcophagi was unearthed.
Known as the rose capital of France, a "Festival of the Rose" is held in July of each year where in one park alone more than 800 varieties can be seen.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Doué-la-Fontaine.|
- History of the village and a collection of photos including a Carolingian residence and an ancient stone amphitheatre. (English)
- History of Doué-la-Fontaine (French)
- Fact sheet (French)
- Community of Communes of Doué-la-Fontaine (French)