|Comune di Donato|
Location of Donato in Italy
|Coordinates: 45°32′N 7°52′E / 45.533°N 7.867°ECoordinates: 45°32′N 7°52′E / 45.533°N 7.867°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Biella (BI)|
|• Mayor||Desirèe Duoccio|
|• Total||11.8 km2 (4.6 sq mi)|
|Elevation||711 m (2,333 ft)|
|Population (1 January 2014)|
|• Density||59/km2 (150/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The name of Roman origin testifies to the antiquity of the settlement, in a strategic position for communications between Biella, the Canavese and the Valle d'Aosta. Around 1150 the bishop of Vercelli, Uguccione, bought this place for his church, along with the lands of Zumaglia, Netro and Verrua. Subsequently Donato passed to Avogadro of Cerrione, who came into conflict with the church of Vercelli, in 1434 lost this estate, which was sold by a judgment of the Count of Savoy to the bishop of Vercelli, together with the castles of Cerrione, Mongiovetto, Ponderano, Quaregna, Valdengo, Villa and Zubiena.
In 1706 the town was almost completely destroyed by the French.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.