Domodossola railway station
Piazza Giacomo Matteotti|
Domodossola, Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, Piedmont
|Coordinates||46°06′55″N 08°17′46″E / 46.11528°N 8.29611°ECoordinates: 46°06′55″N 08°17′46″E / 46.11528°N 8.29611°E|
|Owned by||Rete Ferroviaria Italiana|
|Distance||55.547 km (34.515 mi) from Arona|
|Opened||8 September 1888|
|Electrified||May 4, 1947|
Location within Northern Italy
Domodossola railway station (Italian: Stazione di Domodossola) serves the city and comune of Domodossola, in the Piedmont region, northwestern Italy. Opened in 1888, it forms a major break of gauge junction between standard gauge lines to Milan, Brig and Novara, and a metre gauge line to Locarno.
The station is currently managed by Rete Ferroviaria Italiana (RFI). However, the commercial area of the passenger building is managed by Centostazioni. Train services on the lines to Milan and Novara are operated by Trenitalia. Each of these companies is a subsidiary of Ferrovie dello Stato (FS), Italy's state-owned rail company.
Train services on the line to Brig are operated by the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB-CFF-FFS), and those on the line to Locarno by the Società Subalpina Imprese Ferroviarie (SSIF). These two lines combine to form an international link, via Domodossola, between the German and Italian speaking parts of Switzerland.
Domodossola railway station is situated at Piazza Giacomo Matteotti, at the eastern edge of the city centre.
The station was opened on 9 September 1888, together with the rest of the Domodossola–Arona section of the Milan–Domodossola railway. It was built as part of a railway construction project planned since the 1870s. The aim of the project was to break the isolation of the Ossola valley, by connecting it with Novara and Turin.
On 1 June 1906, Domodossola was extended to become an international facility, upon the opening of the Simplon Tunnel and the Brig–Domodossola railway that passes through it.
The metre gauge connection between Domodossola and Locarno entered service on 27 November 1923.
- History of rail transport in Italy
- List of railway stations in Piedmont
- Rail transport in Italy
- Railway stations in Italy
- it:Società Subalpina Imprese Ferroviarie
- Alessandro Tuzza; et al. "Prospetto cronologico dei tratti di ferrovia aperti all'esercizio dal 1839 al 31 dicembre 1926" [Chronological overview of the features of the railways opened between 1839 and 31 December 1926]. Trenidicarta.it (in Italian). Alessandro Tuzza. Retrieved 13 February 2011. External link in
- "Flussi Annui nelle 103 Stazioni" [Annual flows at the 103 stations]. Centostazioni website (in Italian). Centostazioni. Retrieved 13 December 2010.
Media related to Domodossola railway station at Wikimedia Commons
This article is based upon a translation of the Italian language version as at December 2010.