He was a pupil of Silvestro Valeri in Perugia, and where in 1857, he painted the chapel of St. Joseph in the church of St. Peter. He became famous after his frescoes on the halls of the provincial council's palace. The frescoes were allegorical scenes alluding to the glory of Perugia. In 1859, he travelled to Florence to work in the studio of Bandinelli. Among one of his works was the decoration of the Chapel of San Giuseppe at San Pietro dei Cassinensi (1858) in Perugia. In 1869, he frescoed the Chapel of the Rosary in San Domenico, Perugia with depictions of San Stefano, Beati Nicolò e Tomassello, and Pope Benedict XI. He traveled in 1862 to Scotland to paint for various members of the aristocracy. Returning to Perugia, he completed the main altarpiece (1890) of the Church of the Annunziata. He was called to Rome to become professor of ornamentation at the Royal Institute of Fine Arts at Via Ripetta. He painted in Rome at the Consulta, at the church of Santissimi Apostoli in Perugia, at the Palace of Montecitorio and other government palaces.
Commissioned by the Provincial Deputation of Perugia to paint the Hall of Palace of the Prefecture with extensive frescoes depicting famous persons from Perugia and historical events. In 1876-1877, he frescoed the Baptism Chapel and the Chapel of San Onofrio of the Cathedral of Perugia.
Among his colleagues at the studio of Valeri were Alessandro Vertami, Domenico Belimi, Guglielmo Mangiarelli, Tito Moretti, Annibale Mariani, Lemma Rossi-Scotti, and Pasquale Frenguelli.