Discovery Channel (Flanders)
|Launched||October 1, 2009|
|Network||Discovery Networks Benelux|
|Owned by||Discovery Networks Northern Europe (Discovery Communications)|
|Slogan||Tot hier en verder!|
|Broadcast area||Flanders & Brussels|
|Replaced||Discovery Channel (Netherlands) (no longer available in Belgium, still in the Netherlands)|
Discovery HD Showcase|
Animal Planet (Benelux)
|Telenet||Check your local listings at zenders.be|
|Telenet Digital TV (Flanders)||Channel 501|
|Telenet Digital TV (Brussels)||Channel 721|
Discovery Channel is a television channel which broadcasts to the Flemish market.
The channel launched on the analogue network of the major Flemish cable company Telenet on October 1, 2009. Prior to that the Dutch version of Discovery had been available digitally in the area. The launch increases Discovery's reach in the Flemish region to 2.4 million households.
The launch of Discovery Channel on Telenet coincides with a major shift in Telenet analogue offer, which also sees the launch of EXQI Plus and vtmKzoom.
Advertising sales for the channel will be handled by the established Belgian channel Vitaya. At launch, hope was expressed that the channel would eventually carry original Flemish content.
Before the launch of Discovery Channel Vlaanderen, Discovery Channel Nederland was available for digital subscribers.
- "Discovery Networks lanceert Vlaamse Discovery Channel" (PDF) (Press release). Discovery Networks Benelux. August 12, 2009.
- "Discovery Channel Vlaanderen vanaf oktober nieuwe afsplitsing van Discovery Channel Nederland". DutchMedia. August 13, 2009.
- "Flemish launch for Discovery Channel". C21Media. August 13, 2009.
- "METTEZ LES NOUVELLES CHAÎNES SUR VOTRE TÉLÉVISEUR" (PDF). Telenet.
- "Discovery adds analogue footprint in Belgium". Broadband TV News. October 2, 2009.
- "Vitaya to sell Flemish Discovery airtime". broadbandtvnews. September 22, 2009.
- "EXQI Plus, vtmKzoom en Discovery Channel op de kabel". HLN. September 28, 2009.