Diocese of Clogher (Church of Ireland)
The Diocese of Clogher is a diocese of the Church of Ireland in the north of Ireland. It is in the ecclesiastical province of Armagh. It covers a rural area on the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland including much of south west Ulster, taking in most of counties Fermanagh and Monaghan and parts of counties Cavan, Leitrim and Donegal.
Overview and history
The Diocese was formed in 1111 at the Synod of Rathbreasail as the see for the Kingdom of Uí Chremthainn. The See was removed to Louth between 1135 and 1197, possibly to consolidate the power of the Bishop over against smaller Sees, before being returned to Clougher. At this time Louth was moved to the Diocese of Armagh, and the Ardstraw part of the diocese given to the Diocese of Derry. Church property that existed at the time of the Reformation, buildings included, was retained by the reformed Church of Ireland, then in the 19th century, at the time of the Disestablishment of the Church, confiscated by the state. Schools, churches and cathedrals were however returned to the Church. The diocese is unique within the Anglican Communion in having two diocesan cathedrals.
List of the Bishops of Clogher
The following is a basic list of the post-Reformation Church of Ireland bishops.
In 1850, Clogher was united with Armagh.
In 1886, Clogher was separated from Armagh.
- "Diocese of Clogher (Church of Ireland)". Official website. Retrieved 21 June 2009.
- Our Cathedrals. Church of Ireland Diocese of Clogher. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "St. Macartin's Cathedral, Enniskillen". Church of Ireland. Retrieved 21 June 2009.
- "St. Macartin's Cathedral, Enniskillen". enniskillencathedral.com. Retrieved 21 June 2009.
- St Macartan – 1500 years of faith (Diocese of Clogher)
- Clogher clergy and parishes [microform] : being an account of the clergy of the Church of Ireland in the Diocese of Clogher, from the earliest period, with historical notices of the several parishes, churches, etc. Archive.org. Retrieved on 23 July 2013.
- Church of Ireland – A province of the Anglican Communion. Ireland.anglican.org. Retrieved on 23 July 2013.
- The Diocese of Clogher. Clogher.anglican.org. Retrieved on 23 July 2013.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (Third ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 382–383. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.