|Coordinates: 50°22′15″N 8°0′57″E / 50.37083°N 8.01583°ECoordinates: 50°22′15″N 8°0′57″E / 50.37083°N 8.01583°E|
|• Stadtbürgermeister||Frank Dobra|
|• Total||12.41 km2 (4.79 sq mi)|
|• Density||970/km2 (2,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Vehicle registration||EMS, DIZ, GOH|
Diez an der Lahn is a small but historically significant town in Germany's Rhein-Lahn district in Rhineland-Palatinate, on the borders of Hesse. Diez is the administrative seat of the municipality of Diez. The town and the area have been inhabited by humans since the Stone Age.
The center of Diez is located four miles southwest of Limburg an der Lahn and 31 miles east of Koblenz. Diez and the adjoining city of Limburg (Hessen) are so close that in modern times they have increasingly merged into a single urban area, although they remain historically and politically distinct. The low rolling hills around Diez form part of the Rhenish Slate Mountains. The Lahn Valley serves as the boundary between the highlands north of the Westerwald with the Taunus rising to the south. This valley, the Diezer gate leaves the Limburg Lahn basin and rises towards Fachingen in the Lower Lahntal. The city of Diez itself lies at the confluence of the Aar and the Lahn.
The soils in the region Diez mainly belong to the brown or Luvisols n.
The first evidence of human settlement in the Diez area dates from the Stone Age (v. 20000-12000 BC), as demonstrated by discoveries in the caves of Wildweiberlei (between Diez and Altendiez). Other prehistoric evidence includes burial mounds and pottery finds of Latène which would seem to indicate primitive cultures present during the Celtic period.
The place name Diez seems to be a corruption of the Frankish Theodissa Thidesse/Diedisse and Dietz to today's spelling of Diez. The settlement was known as Theodissa by the year A.D. 790 according to the charter of Charlemagne where it is listed as property of the Abbey of Prüm. Other early mentions In the post-Carolingian period include a reference to one Diez in the area of Niederlahngau, ruled by the Conradines. It was in 1073 that the Count of Diez was mentioned for the first time in a deed of sale for goods in Bodenheim.
Heinrich II von Diez (1145–1189) accompanied Frederick Barbarossa on his Italian campaign where he was involved in diplomatic negotiations. His son Henry III was part of the regency council and circle of tutors for Henry VII .
Graf Gerhard IV (1276–1308) founded in 1289 a collegiate at the foot of the castle hill. The founding community came from the Abbey of Salz. The monastery was named Saint Mary's after the patron saint of the church.
In 1329, Ludwig of Bavaria bestowed the right of municipal law to Diez, and at that time the town was fortified with a wall with five entry gates. But the dynasty of the Counts of Diez ended in 1386.
From 1453, following the death of his son, Philip the Elder named himself Count of Katzenelnbogen-Diez. Among his properties by 1446 was a vineyard across the bridge. In 1479 the male line of the Counts of Katzenelnbogen died out, and Landgraf Heinrich III inherited the county of Hesse, and with it Diez. The title of Count of Diez (Dietz) is therefore of an integral part of the family name in the house of Hesse from this time.
The city later became the seat of the Counts of Nassau-Diez in the 17th and 18th centuries as governor in the Netherlands service were doing and the current Dutch royal family back to do it.
County of Nassau-Diez in 1806 was in the Duchy of Nassau on 16-17. September 1796 it came in the wake of the 2nd Coalition war between Austrians and French in the area between Diez and Limburg (especially in the chief Steiner Aue) for battle. Diez was changing both Austrians and for French Einquartierungsort.
End of the 18th century were all left bank of the Rhine to France and the Principality of Orange was formed. 1866 Nassau country, and thus Diez was Prussian. In 1867 Lahn district was in the wake of the Prussian administrative reform of the formed, the county seat was Diez. Initially belonged to the lower Lahn Limburg circle. The episcopal city was, however, in 1886 the seat of the newly established district of Limburg. In the course of municipal reform in 1969 Loreley circle were the circle and the lower Lahn (located in St. Goarshausen) Rhein-Lahn-Kreis merged to, the spa town of Bad Ems seat was appointed to his. Thus lost its function as a district town Diez.
On 7 February 1984, there was a flood on the Lahn, which resulted in millions in damage.
Roman Catholic Church
The city of Diez, the Roman Catholic parish of the Sacred Heart in Diez and is associated with her to the Pastoral Area Diez, which in turn the district in the diocese of Limburg Limburg is incorporated.
Evangelical Church (EKHN)
On the Protestant side, the main town of Diez collegiate church community and the district of the parish of St. Freiendiez James, each of the dean's office of the provost Diez South Nassau in the Evangelical Church in Hessen and Nassau (ECHN), belong.
Almost nothing remains of the Jewish presence in Diez despite the nearly-seven-hundred year span of continuous Jewish survival in this town, a history virtually obliterated during the Holocaust. The Jewish population of Diez in the Middle Ages can be traced back to around 1286 and 1303. Already, by 1337 and then again in 1348-49, the Jewish population suffered pogroms, giving early evidence of antisemitism in Diez. Nonetheless, a small Jewish population persisted throughout the centuries, although the maximum number of Jewish residents was likely reached in 1895, when 130 Jews resided in the city. Diez was also the seat of the district rabbinate at the end of the 18th century, then the seat of the Rabbi of Nassau-Orange. From 1860, it would be the Jewish community in Diez Rabbinatsbezirk Ems.
Diez hosted a German-Israelite children's home until its closure in 1935. A plaque on the Schlossberg (Castle Hill above the stairs) remembers the expulsion and deportation of Jewish children and their caregiver (s) on 20 August 1935.
Diez's synagogue was desecrated in the November 1938 pogroms, when the interior was destroyed. The building was demolished after the war, in 1951. The Nazis also destroyed Diez's Jewish cemetery (built early 17th century). On this site now sits the tax office. A more recent Jewish Cemetery from the late 19th century survives and continues to overlook Diez from a hill above the town, all that remains of the Jewish history there.
|Social Democratic Party||CDU||FDP||FWG 1||FWG 2||FWG 3||Total|
Arts and Culture
The dominant feature of the townscape is the high medieval Castle of Diez. The oldest part of the castle dates from the 11th century. It was abandoned as a residence from the mid-1700s, and from 1743 to 1784, the count's castle was used as a Nassau office building. Subsequently it served as a prison or jail until 1927. In the 18th and 19th century, it was the site of the largest processing center of Lahn marble. Since 24 June 2006, it has been a guest house and hostel. Nearly a year later, in October 2007 a new museum was inaugurated within the castle.
Below is the medieval castle of the Count's Collegiate Church, built by Count Gerhard in 1289. It was dedicated to Mary, seat of a Monastery. Inside there are several tombs of nobles and the Nassau Diez, among which stands out the intricately crafted of Princess Amalie of Nassau-Diez. Another striking piece of equipment is the Roman grave stone. It is older than the church, its origin is unknown.
The city wall, and remains one of the city gates, from the 14th or 15th century have been preserved in part.
At the northern edge of Orange is the baroque castle stone, the 1684 Princess Albertine Agnes (1634–1696) Ruins of the Benedictine Monastery Dierstein "was built on the. Her niece Henriette Amalie of Nassau-Diez, born a Princess of Anhalt-Dessau designed the castle in 1696 to a baroque castle. Under it, the building was then finally completed after 21 years in 1705.
See also: List of cultural monuments in Diez
The Museum of Nassau-Orange in Orange, stone castle offers guided tours of the baroque castle rooms for periodic and shows the covers of Diez, of the noble family of Orange, the present Dutch royal house.
The Regional Museum in the Castle of Diez Diez - aspects of the permanent exhibition: Pre-and Early History, History of the Count's castle, town history Diez (from the Middle Ages to the present), Prince gallery.
The "grove" is the Diezer urban forest. The 40 hectare site was originally part of the park of Schloss Oranienstein. William V (1748-1806) gave the area to the citizens of the city of Diez. Today, the Hain serves as a recreation area with playground, jogging trail and tennis and mini golf courses.
Music and Concerts
- Orange Steiner concerts
- Concerts in local Eberhard
- Sacred music
- Choirs, choral music
- Music Clubs
- Limekiln Festival
- Workshops in the cultural memory
- Studios in the Wilhelm von Nassau-Park
- Malkreis in house Eberhard
- Exhibitions in local Eberhard
- So-theater club in the cultural memory
- Theater in Limekiln
Cultural centers and venues
- Home Eberhard (exhibitions, concerts, readings, festivals and celebrations)
- Cultural memory theater, studios and music practice rooms
- Limekiln with rehearsal rooms, theater group (s), held annually Limekiln Festival
- Castle Rock Garden (live music, workshops, readings, parties and celebrations)
Festivals, entertainment, traditions
- Festivals (Old Town Festival, Spring Fair, Martin Market, Grove Festival, Castle bivouac in Oranienstein)
- City Library (opened on the Theodor-Osmer House, Wilhelmstr. 48 since 19 May 2008)
- Municipal Archives in the house Eberhard
Economy and Infrastructure
Diez Bundeswehr site (see above) and has several small industries. Of significance was the limestone and marble industry, but most of the quarries were closed in the seventies.
Authorities, institutions, bodies
- District Court
- Federal Employment Agency
- Arbeitsgemeinschaft Rhein-Lahn (ARGE) - Job Centre
- Land Registry
- Tax Office
- Community association management
- Motor vehicle - Admissions
- TÜV Rheinland Testing Diez
- State Office real estate and construction management (LBB), Freedom Diez
- National Road and Transport Rheinland-Pfalz, streets and office Diez
- Water and Shipping Authority Koblenz, Branch Diez
Urban Development and City Marketing
Downtown Alliance Diez (BID)
Following the example of the North American concept of "Business Improvement District" Diez in 2006/2007 in a co-joined forces to co-located real estate and the city of Diez to revive as a private and (also) to develop. A base to provide the intensive cooperation with the municipality Diez. In this way synergistically private and municipal resources will be used to implement new opportunities of development for the business and service sector of the city. Between the Alliance city Diez (BID) and the City Diez was in May 2008 to a corresponding cooperation contract.
The initiative group "Orange Table", by Diezer citizens, is a non-industrial concentration to develop the environment of the city and region Diez. This work will take place in six existing working groups that choose to work within their subject area priorities and projects and process.
Diez is on the line between Koblenz-Gießen (the Lahn Valley Railway) on the Deutsche Bahn network and is served by both Vectus Verkehrsgesellschaft mbH and Deutsche Bahn. The Upper Westerwald Railway and the Lower Westerwald Railway run through Diez-Ost station on the city limits to provide a connection between Limburg rail and the Westerwald. The closed Aar Valley Railway ran towards Wiesbaden and is expected to be reactivated to Zollhaus (south of Hahnstätten) in 2015.
Numerous bus routes in the Rhein-Mosel (VRM) Diez provide public transport links with the surrounding area.
The town is a stop on the German-Dutch holiday road the Orange Route, the Lahn Holiday Route and the Rhine Legends Route.
Education, education, schools
Kindergartens and nurseries
- Catholic kindergarten, Schlesienstrasse
- Protestant kindergarten and day care, Castle Hill
- Protestant Children day care center, cemetery road
- Protestant kindergarten, Bert-Brecht-Str.
- Waldorf Kindergarten, Wilhelm von Nassau-Park
- Karl-von-Ibell Elementary School
- Pestallozzi-school, primary school, district Freiendiez
- Secondary Plus Diez
- Sophie-Hedwig High School
- Nicolaus August Otto school (vocational school)
- Waldorf School Diez, comprehensive school and open all-day school
- OPTONIA, School of Optometry and Ophthalmic Optics
Educational institutions and adult education
- Adult Education and National Education Association e. e.V.
Youth Center and Youth Services
- Albert-Schweitzer-family work Rhineland-Palatinate/Saarland e. V., Schaumburg St., weekly and group of children Diez
- Youth Centre, Wilhelm von Nassau-Park
Health and social work
Hospital and Clinic
- Hospital of the German Red Cross
- Clinic for Psycho-Traumatology
- Clinic for mother, father and child
Rescue and emergency services
- Volunteer Fire Diez-Freiendiez
- German Red Cross Ambulance - Diez
- German Red Cross local branch - Diez
- DLRG - Diez / Altendiez
- Malteser Rhein-Lahn
Sport and Recreation
- Indoor "Oranienbad Diez-Limburg"
- Eissporthalle Diez, On Indoor
- Mini Golf Course in the grove
- Lahn-Lama Tours in and around Diez
Sons and daughters of the city
- Philipp Heinrich Hoen (1576–1649), lawyer, professor and statesman
- Clemens de Lassaulx (1809–1906), forester in the Rhine province, known as the "father of the Eifel forest"
- Julius Oppenheimer (1825–1889), revolutionary years of the 1848
- Heinrich Velde (1827–1905), architect, Royal and rail operating supervisor
- Maria Batzer (1877–1965), German writer
- John Petschull (1901–2001), music publisher
- Hans Jürgen Rose (b. 1941), television presenter and director ORB
- Bernd Westphal (1944), German diplomat
- Fritz Korbach (b. 1945), German football coach
- Christa Prets (1947), Austrian politician, member of the EU Parliament
- Roman Weidenfeller (b. 1980), German football player
- Michael Stahl (born 1987), German football player
- Markus Wingenbach (born 1978) German football referee
- Svenja Spriestersbach (born 1981), German handball player
Personalities who have worked on site
- Adrian Diel (born February 4, 1756 in Gladenbach; † April 22, 1839 in Diez)
- Sophia Hedwig of Brunswick-Lüneburg (* 1592; † 1642): wife of Count Ernst Casimir Diezer
- Fritz von Unruh (born May 10, 1885 in Koblenz, † 28 November 1970 in Diez an der Lahn)
- Theo Michaely (b. 1928), mayor from 1974
- "Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31. Dezember 2015" (PDF). Statistisches Bundesamt (in German). 2016.
- Geological Overview of Hesse
- soil map of Hesse.
- caving Rhein-Lahn-Kreis
- history of Rhein-Lahn-Kreis
- To Count Henry II of Diez see: Italia et Germania. Liber amicorum Arnold Esch, ed. H. Keller and W. Paravicini / W. Schieder (Tübingen 2001) p. 425-438
- Text of Adolf Morland
- website of the Catholic parish of the Sacred Heart in Diez
- information on the Jewish community and synagogue Diez
- information on the sides of the Rhein-Lahn-Kreis
- information on the Jewish cemeteries in Diez
- Local Elections Rheinland-Pfalz in 2009 town council
- Website of the City Library Diez
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Diez.|
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- Official website
- Tourist Information Diez
- Site Marketing - Orange Table
- The city of Diez in the calendars of the Landgrave - LAGIS Hessen
- Diez at DMOZ