Department of the South
The Department of the South was a military department of the United States Army that existed in several iterations in the 19th century.
During the American Civil War, the Department of the South comprised Union Army troops occupying the states of Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. This included troops stationed at Hilton Head, Morris Island, Savannah, Georgia and Pensacola, Florida. Until 1864, its command was co-terminus with that of the X Corps.
- Major General David Hunter, March 31 to September 3, 1862
- Major General Ormsby M. Mitchel, September 3, 1862 to October 30, 1862 (died of yellow fever)
- Brigadier General John M. Brannan, October 30, 1862 to January 21, 1863
- Major General David Hunter, January 21 to June 3, 1863
- Major General Quincy Adams Gilmore, June 12, 1863, to May 1, 1864
- Brigadier General John P. Hatch, May 1, 1864 to May 26, 1864
- Major General John G. Foster, May 26, 1864 to February 11, 1865
- Major General Quincy Adams Gilmore, February 9 to November 17, 1865;
This iteration of the Department of the South consisted of posts in Georgia, Alabama and Florida, in what was then the Third Military District.
In this iteration, the Department of the South consisted of reconstructed states in the former Confederacy. It was subordinate to the Military Division of the South until 1876, and the Military Division of the Atlantic after that.
- Major General George G. Meade, August 1868–March 12, 1869
- Brigadier General Thomas Howard Ruger, September 8, 1876–July 1, 1878
- Brigadier General Christopher Columbus Augur, July 1, 1878–December 26, 1880
- Colonel Henry Jackson Hunt, January 6, 1881–September 14, 1883