Department of Plant Sciences, University of Oxford
|Purpose||Research and teaching in plant biology|
Head of Department
|University of Oxford|
Senior academic staff
As of 2015 senior academic staff (full professors) include:
- Hugh Dickinson, Emeritus Professor of Plant Reproductive Biology
- Liam Dolan FRS, Sherardian Professor of Botany and Head of Department
- Nicholas Harberd FRS, Sibthorpian Professor of Plant Sciences
- Andrew Hector, Professor of Ecology, Plants for the 21st Century
- Paul Jarvis, Professor of Plant Cell Biology
- Jane A. Langdale, FRS Professorial Research Fellow
- Chris J. Leaver FRS, Emeritus Professor
- John Mackay, Wood Professor of Forest Science
- Phil Poole, Professor of Plant Microbiology
- George Ratcliffe, Professor of Plant Sciences
- Andrew Smith, Professor of Plant Sciences
- Miltos Tsiantis, Professor of Plant Developmental Genetics
In total, the Department has:
- 28 academic staff and independent research fellows.
- 60 postdoctoral researchers and Doctor of Philosophy students.
- 40 technicians and administrative staff.
The Department has three research groups:
- Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Comparative Developmental Genetics
- Evolution, Ecology and Systematics
- A Biology undergraduate course is currently run in conjunction with the Department of Zoology at Oxford.
The Department houses the Oxford University Herbaria that consists of two herbaria:
- Fielding-Druce Herbarium.
- Daubeny Herbarium.
In total the collections contain 800,000 specimens and the department has close links with the University's Oxford Botanic Garden.
Forestry was an important part of the university under the name of the Imperial Forest Institute, from 1924, later the Commonwealth Forest Institute from 1939. The Oxford Forestry Institute was incorporated into the Department of Plant Sciences in 2002, and research relating to forestry is now undertaken under the department's name. It ran a post graduate MSc forestry course for many years: Forestry and its Relation to Land Use.
- Archived 25 June 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Oxford Plant Systematics". Herbaria.plants.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2015-08-26.
- "Imperial Forestry Institute, Oxford". Nature. 137 (3466): 573. 1936. doi:10.1038/137573a0.
- "The Imperial Forestry Institute, Oxford". Nature. 139 (3522): 731. 1937. doi:10.1038/139731a0.
- The History of the University of Oxford. Trevor Henry Aston, J. I. Catto, T. A. Ralph Evans, James McConica, Nicholas Tyacke, Lucy Stuart Sutherland, Leslie George Mitchell, Michael G.. Brock, Mark C. Curthoys and Brian Howard Harrison. Oxford University Press, 1984. ISBN 0-19-822974-7, ISBN 978-0-19-822974-2
- Archived 3 July 2007 at the Wayback Machine.