Dennewitz is a village of Germany, in the federal state and old Prussian province of Brandenburg, near Jüterbog, 40 km. S.W. from Berlin. It is part of the municipality of Niedergörsdorf, Teltow-Fläming district.
It is memorable as the scene of a decisive battle on the 6 September 1813, in which Marshal Ney, with an army of 58,000 French, Saxons and Poles, was defeated with great loss by an allied army with 100,000 Prussians, Swedes and Russians under Generals Bülow (afterwards Count Bülow of Dennewitz) and Tauentzien. The allied army was led by the Swedish prince Karl Johan and field marshal Kurt von Stedingk. The site of the battle is marked by an iron obelisk.
Napoleon's army lost 8,000 men, 50 cannons and 400 supply vehicles. The northern army lost 9,000 men.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Dennewitz". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.