Defunct (video game)
Defunct is an adventure video game developed by the Swedish developer Freshly Squeezed from Visby. Defunct received several nominations at the 2014 Swedish Game Awards including Game of the Year, which it went on to win. The game was also nominated for Best Student Project at the 2014 Unity Awards.
In March 2015, it was announced that Freshly Squeezed had signed a publishing deal with the Dutch video game publisher SOEDESCO. Release date was originally expected to be in Q3, 2015, for PC. However, the release date was pushed back and released on Steam on January 29, 2016.
The game is set on a post-human Earth, where the player plays as an old, broken, racing robot. Players are barely able to move by themselves and are therefore required to use the environment for propulsion by utilizing the "Gravitize" ability to increase their gravitational pull. By turning this ability on when going downhill, the player will go faster; turning it off when going uphill will result in less of a decrease in speed.
There are speed boosts throughout the levels, either in the shape of little orbs which gives you a short burst of speed or as bottles or pools of "Enerjuice" which fills up a blue meter and can be used whenever the player chooses.
The player also has the ability to "Magnetize" which allows the player to stick to surfaces when going upside down or vertically.
Awards and nominations
|2014||Gotland Game Conference||Best 2nd Year Game||Won|
|2014||Swedish Game Awards||Best Execution in Art||Nominated|
|2014||Swedish Game Awards||Best Execution in Audio||Nominated|
|2014||Swedish Game Awards||Best Execution in Design||Nominated|
|2014||Swedish Game Awards||Best Technical Execution||Nominated|
|2014||Swedish Game Awards||Game of the Year||Won|
|2014||Unity Awards||Best Student Project||Nominated||Finalist|
- "The nominees for the Swedish Game Awards 2014". Swedish Game Awards 2014. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "The winners of the Swedish Game Awards 2014". Swedish Game Awards 2014. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "2014 Unity Awards Winners". Unity - Game Engine. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "SOEDESCO signs award winning game Defunct from independent studio Freshly Squeezed". SOEDESCO. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "New Defunct screenshots dropped in from Orbit!". SOEDESCO. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- "Defunct on Steam". Steam. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Gotland Game Conference 2014". GAME - The department of Game Design at Uppsala University, Campus Gotland. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
|Look up Defunct in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|