Deerhurst Church and Priory Farm
Deerhurst shown within Gloucestershire
|OS grid reference||SO869295|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Coordinates: 51°58′N 2°11′W / 51.96°N 2.19°W
Deerhurst is a village near Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire, England on the east bank of the River Severn. The Royal Mail postcode begins GL19.
According to legend, the village was once the home of a dragon, said to have been swept in on the River Severn.
Anglo Saxon church & chapel
Deerhurst has an Anglo Saxon partly 10th century monastic building still standing, St Mary's Priory Church. It is notable among Anglo-Saxon buildings for the many features of the period which can be observed. Remarkably, there is a second important Anglo-Saxon building in the village, Odda's Chapel, a Saxon church, lying about 200 yards south-west of the church. An inscription dates this precisely to the reign of King Edward the Confessor.
The village suffered badly from the floods of 2007 and local residents were seen on the local BBC news network, Midlands Today. Pictures of the floods can be seen at the Flooding Blog.
The title of "Viscount Deerhurst" was created as a subsidiary title to the earldom of Coventry (creation of 1697) and is held by the Coventry family of Croome Court.
- Philip Rahtz (2001). Deerhurst Above and Below Ground. Friends of Deerhurst Church. ISBN 0-9521199-5-1.
- ↑ "Parish population 2011.Retrieved 1 April 2015".
- ↑ "Glosfolk - The Legend of the Deerhurst Dragon". Glosfolk. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- ↑ Taylor, H.M. & Joan, Anglo-Saxon Architecture Cambridge 1965.
- ↑ Biddulph, Joseph, Getimbrod: A Love of Anglo-Saxon Architecture Pontypridd 2004. ISBN 978-1-897999-52-3.
- ↑ Biddulph, Joseph, More Anglo-Saxon and Pre-Conquest Building: From England and Wales Pontypridd 2010. ISBN 978-1-897999-80-6.
- ↑ Higgitt, John, Odda, Orm and others: Patrons and Inscriptions in Later Anglo-Saxon England Deerhurst Lecture 1999. ISBN 0-9521199-7-8.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Deerhurst.|
- English Buildings: Deerhurst - Lost and Found
- English Buildings: Deerhurst - Saxon Severnside
- BBC Gloucestershire: Floods 2007