Location in Sogn og Fjordane county
|Coordinates: 61°53′29″N 05°31′53″E / 61.89139°N 5.53139°ECoordinates: 61°53′29″N 05°31′53″E / 61.89139°N 5.53139°E|
|County||Sogn og Fjordane|
|Elevation||13 m (43 ft)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+01:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+02:00)|
|Post Code||6730 Davik|
Davik is a village in Bremanger Municipality in Sogn og Fjordane county, Norway. The village is located on the southern shore of the Nordfjorden, about 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) west of the village of Isane and about 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) east of the village of Rugsund. The village of Kjølsdalen lies across the fjord from Davik. The population of the village (in 2001) was about 330 residents.
The village of Davik was the administrative centre of the old municipality of Davik which was in existence from 1838 until 1964 when it was dissolved and its lands were split between 3 other municipalities. Some of the municipal services were based in Davik village, while others were located in Bryggja which was a larger urban area. Davik Church is located in Davik village.
The village is named after the old Davik farm (Old Norse: Dafvíkr), since the local church (Davik Church) was located there. The first element (Old Norse: dafi) means "spear" and the last element (Old Norse: víkr) is identical with the word vik which means "inlet", so the name appears to be referring to the long, skinny spear-like shape of the local fjord.
- "Davik, Bremanger" (in Norwegian). yr.no. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- Store norske leksikon. "Davik tettbebyggelse i Bremanger" (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- "Folke- og bustadteljing 2001 - 1438 Bremanger" (PDF). Statistisk sentralbyrå.
- "Komunehistoria i Bremanger" (in Norwegian). NRK. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- Rygh, Oluf (1919). Norske gaardnavne: Nordre Bergenhus amt (in Norwegian) (12 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. pp. 408–409.