David William Murray, 3rd Earl of Mansfield
|The Right Honourable|
The Earl of Mansfield
|Lord Lieutenant of Clackmannanshire|
4 May 1803 – 18 February 1840
|Preceded by||The Lord Cathcart|
|Succeeded by||George Abercromby|
David William Murray|
7 March 1777
18 February 1840 (aged 62)|
Leamington, United Kingdom
David William Murray, 3rd Earl of Mansfield, KT (7 March 1777 – 18 February 1840) was a British army officer and peer. Mansfield served as Lord Lieutenant of Clackmannanshire from 1803 until his death.
David William Murray was born in Paris in 1777 to David Murray, then 7th Viscount Stormont, and Louisa, daughter of Charles Cathcart, 9th Lord Cathcart. In 1792 Murray's father succeeded to his uncle William Murray's 1792 creation of the Mansfield earldom; Murry himself succeeded in 1796.
On 16 September 1797 Mansfield married Frederica, daughter of William Markham, Archbishop of York. They had nine children:
- Lady Frederica Louisa Murray (1800–1823), married James Hamilton Stanhope in 1823 and had issue
- Lady Elizabeth Anne Murray (born 1803), unmarried
- Lady Caroline Murray (born 1805), unmarried
- William David (1806–1898), who succeeded as 4th Earl of Mansfield and married Louisa, third daughter of Cutbbert Ellison, in 1829 and had issue
- Lady Georgina Catherine Murray (born 1807)
- Honourable Charles John Murray (born 1810), married Frances Elizabeth, second surviving daughter of Thomas Anson, 1st Viscount Anson in 1835
- Honourable David Henry Murray (born 1811), Captain in the Scots Fusilier Guards
- Lady Cecilia Sarah Murray (1814–1830)
- Lady Emily Murray (1816-1902), married Francis Seymour, later 5th Marquess of Hertford, in 1839 and had issue
Education and career
He received a degree, Doctor of Civil Law, from Christ Church, Oxford in 1793. He joined the army, becoming a colonel in the Eastern Regiment of the Middlesex Militia in 1798 and the Perthshire Regiment of the North British Militia in 1803.
Mansfield served as Lord Lieutenant of Clackmannanshire from 1803 until his death.
- Urban, Sylvanus (1840). The Gentleman's Magazine. 167. London: J. B. Nichols and Son. p. 428.
- Debrett's Peerage of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. 1. London: G. Woodfall. 1831. p. 211.
- The London Gazette: . 17 August 1798.
- The London Gazette: . 30 April 1803.
- The London Gazette: . 3 May 1803.
- The London Gazette: . 28 April 1840.
- The London Gazette: . 6 March 1835.
- "List of Fellows of the Royal Society 1660–2007" (PDF). Royal Society. July 2007. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
The Lord Cathcart
|Lord Lieutenant of Clackmannanshire
| Succeeded by|
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|Earl of Mansfield
| Succeeded by|
William David Murray