David Robertson (golfer)
|Full name||David Donaldson Robertson|
|Date of birth||12 March 1869|
|Place of birth||Shawlands, Scotland|
|Date of death||13 September 1937 68)(aged|
|Place of death||Berkshire, England|
|School|| Haileybury School|
|University|| Glasgow University|
Christ's College, Cambridge
|Rugby union career|
|Years||Club / team|
|Years||Club / team||Caps||(points)|
David Donaldson Robertson (21 March 1869 – 13 September 1937) was a Scottish sportsman who represented Great Britain and Ireland at golf in the 1900 Summer Olympics, and also played international rugby for the Scotland.
Robertson was born in Shawlands, Glasgow, Scotland to William Alexander Robertson, a wine merchant. He was educated at Haileybury School in Hertfordshire before entering the Glasgow Academy; he later studied at Glasgow University before matriculating to Christ's College, Cambridge in 1889. He received his BA in 1893 and was called to the Bar at Lincoln's Inn in 1895.
With the outbreak of the First World War, Robertson joined the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve, Anti-Aircraft Division.
Robertson first came to note as a rugby player when he represented Cambridge University in the 1892 Varsity match. The 1893 game was a huge disappointment after heavy rainfall turned the Queen's Club ground into mud. Although both teams came to the match with excellent reputations for exciting play, the game "degenerated into a scramble in the mud"; and the game ended in a nil-nil draw. While still representing Cambridge at club level, Robertson was selected Scotland for a rugby international against Wales as part of the 1893 Home Nations Championship. The Welsh used the four three-quarter tactic to great effect and Scotland were well beaten on their own ground, 9-0. The Scottish selectors acted angrily towards the back positions, making six changes. Robertson was one of those dropped, and never represented Scotland at rugby again.
|Olympic medal record|
In 1900 he won the bronze medal in the men's competition in golf at the Olympics.
- "Robertson, David Donaldson (RBRT889DD)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Fletcher Robinson & Rugby (Part VI), bfronline.biz. Retrieved on 12 July 2009.
- David Robertson, sports-reference.com. Retrieved on 12 July 2009.
- Marshall, Howard; Jordon, J.P. (1951). Oxford v Cambridge, The Story of the University Rugby Match. London: Clerke & Cockeran. pp. 80–81.
- David Robertson player profile scrum.com Retrieved on 12 July 2009.
- Griffiths, John (1987). The Phoenix Book of International Rugby Records. London: Phoenix House. p. 2:9. ISBN 0-460-07003-7.
- "The 10 greatest cheats in sporting history". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 1 May 2010.