Danube University Krems
|Donau-Universität Krems - Universität für Weiterbildung Krems|
(full university status: 1 April 2004)
|275 (as of 2015)|
|301 (as of 2015)|
|Students||8,696 (as of 2015)|
|Location||Krems an der Donau, Lower Austria, Austria|
Danube University Krems (subtitled University for Continuing Education Krems; German: Donau-Universität Krems and Universität für Weiterbildung Krems, respectively) calls itself "one of the leading providers of further education courses in Europe". It is located in Krems an der Donau, Lower Austria.
The first 93 students enrolled in 1995, when the institution began operation with programs in European Studies and journalism. In 2004, the Austrian parliament passed the Danube University Act (DUK-Gesetz) granting the institution the rights of a full university (such as appointing its own professors). More than 19,000 students have already graduated from Danube University Krems.
Danube University Krems has specialized in postgraduate education. It currently offers more than 200 academic courses and degree programs (leading to Master's degrees) in the fields:
- Medicine, Health and Social Services
- Economics and Business Management
- Law, Administration and International Affairs
- Education, Media and Communication
- Arts, Culture and Building
Today, more than 8,000 students (average age: 40 years) from over 90 countries study at Danube University Krems. The majority of the students already have a university degree and attend a postgraduate course at Danube University. 30 percent of the students come from foreign countries.
Danube University Krems is located in the Wachau region along the Danube, which has been named a world cultural heritage site by the UNESCO. A renovated tobacco factory dating back to the onset of the 20th century and new buildings on Campus Krems provide students and educators room for research and studying. The design for the new buildings is the creation of Architekt Dietmar Feichtinger, who places a new facade of steel, glass and aluminium opposite the industrial building from the previous century.
Faculties and Departments
Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Health Sciences and Biomedicine
- Evidence-based Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology
- Interdisciplinary Dentistry
- Clinical Neurosciences and Preventive Medicine
- Psychotherapy and Biopsychosocial Health
Faculty of Business and Globalization
- Management and Economics
- Legal Studies and International Relations
- E-Governance and Administration
- Migration and Globalization
- Knowledge and Communication Management
- European Policy and the Study of Democracy
Faculty of Education, Arts and Architecture
- Continuing Education Research and Educational Management
- Interactive Media and Educational Technologies
- Arts and Image Science
- Building and Environment
On 2 February 2007, rector Helmut Kramer resigned due to "conceptional differences on strategic leadership". In May 2007 Prof Heinrich Kern was assigned as the new rector. The interim rector, Prof Ada Pellert, who also had applied, was not considered on the shortlist of three by the nomination committee. This was followed by protests in the university senate claiming the decision to be gender-discriminating.
On 8 August 2007, Danube University issued a statement that the discussions on the rector's nomination are based on structural problems in the university. So Danube University has decided to split the organisation into two universities. Professors Kern and Pellert were asked to apply for the positions of the two universities' rectors.
On July, 2008 the vice rectors Ada Pellert and Hanna Risku resigned. On August, 2008, rector Heinrich Kern resigned according to an agreement with the university council. The former vice rector Jürgen Willer was elected as new rector of Danube University Krems. Willer took office in January, 2009. He resigned from his office in September, 2012. In its session held on 20 February 2013, the University Council of Danube University Krems elected Mag. Friedrich Faulhammer, the former General Secretary of the Federal Ministry for Science and Research, to become its new rector. Rector Faulhammer is in office since August 1, 2013.
- "Danube University Krems". http://www.studyinaustria.at. External link in
- "Danube University Krems". http://www.uniagents.com. External link in
- "Donau-Universität Krems". http://www.schoolinks.com. External link in
- "Danube University Krems". http://www.eunethta.eu. External link in
- About Danube University Krems, Danube University Krems
- "Danube University Krems". http://www.mastersportal.eu. External link in
- University Chronicle, Danube University Krems
- Facts and Figures, Danube University Krems
- "Danube University Krems". http://www.masterstudies.com. External link in
- http://www.donau-uni.ac.at/en/universitaet/campus/index.php Campus Danube University Krems
- http://www.donau-uni.ac.at/en/department/index.php Danube University Krems - Faculties
- (German) Rektor Helmut Kramer tritt zurück; Universitätsrat nimmt Rücktrittsangebot an, Danube University Krems, 2 February 2007
- (German) Donau-Uni Krems: „Ada Pellert soll sich bewerben“, Die Presse, 8 August 2007
- (German) Donau-Universität Krems präsentiert Zukunftskonzept, Danube University Krems, 8 August 2007
- http://www.donau-uni.ac.at/en/aktuell/news/archiv/19157/index.php Friedrich Faulhammer is appointed new rector of Danube University Krems
- http://www.donau-uni.ac.at/en/aktuell/news/archiv/19806/index.php Danube University Krems has new rectorate
- (German) (English) Official website