DOVO Solingen

The DOVO Solingen logo.
The Merkur logo. The Solingen logo, under the main Merkur logo, is the trademark of the place and as such it is shared by all Solingen based manufacturers.

DOVO Solingen, or DOVO Steelware, or DOVO, is an independent German company, based in Solingen. They are a manufacturer of scissors, shaving equipment such as straight razors and safety razors, as well as manicure tools.[1] Shaving equipment and razors are produced by Merkur Solingen, a subsidiary of DOVO.[2]

DOVO was founded in 1906. The name derives from the last names of the original founders Carl Dorp + Carl Arthur Voos.[3] Starting from 1950s onwards DOVO has acquired multiple companies like Tennis (1952), Bismarck (1957), "Ankerflagge" (1957), "Teufelskerle" (1968). "Kronpunkt" (1969), Fontana (1970), Heups & Hermes company (1973) and Merkur company (1996).[4]

As of 31 December 2001, the company employed 86 staff, who produced a daily output of 1200 scissors, 900 nippers, and 150 open razors and shavers. 75% of these products were exported to other countries, while the remaining 25% were sold in Germany.[2] Since 2013 DOVO moved towards focusing mainly on their shaving products and introducing new range of straight razors.


See also


  1. DOVO - Products
  2. 1 2 Shackleford, Steve (5 January 2010). Blade's Guide to Knives & Their Values. Iola, Wisconsin: Krause Publications. p. 68. ISBN 1-4402-1505-7.
  3. DOVO - History

External links

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 11/24/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.