In Great Britain the postal use of cut-outs was banned under the Post Office Act of 1870. This prohibition was in force until 31 December 1904. In 1905, Herbert L'Estrange Ewen published a booklet "The Unadhesive Postage Stamps of the UK" meaning postal stationery cut-outs.
- Mackay, James. Philatelic Terms Illustrated, 4th edition, Stanley Gibbons, London, 2003, p.40. ISBN 0-85259-557-3.
- Patrick, Douglas & Mary. The Hodder Stamp Dictionary, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1973, p.61. ISBN 0-340-17183-9.
- Dagnall, H, Postal Stationery Wrappers, p34, 1993, ISBN 0-9515497-4-X
- H. L'Estrange Ewen cut outs, Stamp Domain, Jan Kosniowski
- Postal stationery cut-outs used on cover.
- Postal stationery cut-outs used to pay airmail.
- Leeward Island Postal Stationery Cut-outs Used as Postage