Curtis M. Loftis, Jr.
|Treasurer of South Carolina|
Assumed office |
January 12, 2011
Henry McMaster (Designate)
|Preceded by||Converse Chellis|
September 8, 1958|
West Columbia, South
University of South Carolina,|
Curtis M. Loftis, Jr. (born September 8, 1958) is an American politician, businessman and philanthropist. He currently serves as the Treasurer of South Carolina. A member of the Republican Party, Loftis has held elective office since 2010.
Early life and Education
Loftis was born in Columbia, South Carolina. He attended Brookland-Cayce High School and graduated from the University of South Carolina in 1981. Loftis was twice elected president of the Student Senate and served as president of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity.
Business and Philanthropy
Loftis is the owner of several central South Carolina businesses and is involved in real estate.
In 1999, Loftis established Saluda Charitable Foundation and remains the principal benefactor. The foundation's activities are faith-based and provide nutritional and housing services to orphans and the elderly. SCF provided over 500,000 meals to the needy and supported medical missions in Haiti.
Loftis was endorsed by former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum, and former US Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich. Loftis received many state Tea Party movement endorsements including many in the business community and several newspaper endorsements.
Treasurer Loftis won the Primary with a 62% of the vote and was unopposed in the general election to remain the State Treasurer.
Description of the Office
The Treasurer is the sole investor of the Local Government Investment Pool, (LGIP) the South Carolina Future Scholar 529 Fund and the excess funds of the state. Treasurer Loftis is the Vice Chairman of the State Fiscal Accountability Authority.
Treasurer Loftis is Chairman of the Board of Financial Institutions which supervises state chartered financial institutions and supervises mortgage originators and lenders, finance companies, pay day lenders, and title lenders. He is a member of the South Carolina Retirement System Investment Commission, which manages the $27 billion fund and a member of the South Carolina Education Authority.
Other Involvement in Politics
Treasurer Loftis served as State Chairman of Romney's 2012 campaign in South Carolina.
National Media Appearances
Treasurer Loftis has appeared on numerous national news programs in addition to being quoted in several major national publications.
In June 2012, The New York Times featured Treasurer Loftis on the front page of its Sunday Business section.
In May 2012, Bloomberg News highlighted Treasurer Loftis' calls for more standards when it comes to hedge funds.
Treasurer Loftis has also made several national TV appearances including live interviews on "Fox and Friends," "Fox Business Channel", "Varney and Company" CNN's John King Live, MSNBC's Martin Bashir Show, CNN MSNBC's Election Night Special
On the national radio dial, Treasurer Loftis was featured during a live interview discussing the US debt downgrade on NPR's Tell Me More with Michele Martin.
|South Carolina Treasurer Republican Primary Election, 2010|
|Republican||Converse Chellis (inc.)||149,191||38.40|
|South Carolina Treasurer Election, 2010|
|South Carolina Treasurer Republican Primary Election, 2014|
|Republican||Curtis Loftis (inc.)||177,854||62.02|
|South Carolina Treasurer Election, 2014|
|Republican||Curtis Loftis (inc.)||857,526||98.75|
- "The Saluda Charitable Foundation was started by Curtis Loftis Jr.". The Columbia Star. July 28, 2006. Retrieved November 7, 2010.
- "Curtis M. Loftis, Jr.". Saluda Charitable Foundation. Retrieved November 5, 2010.
- "Treasurer Invests In Life". The State. 2011-08-01. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- "LOFTIS LIKELY TO CHALLENGE CHELLIS". FITS News.
- "Loftis faces no opposition for SC treasurer". Associated Press. November 2, 2010. Retrieved November 7, 2010.
- Romney, Mitt (2010). "Curtis Loftis". Free and Strong America PAC, Inc. Retrieved November 7, 2010.
- Huckabee, Mike (July 14, 2010). "Huck PAC Endorses Curtis Loftis For State Treasurer Of South Carolina". Retrieved November 7, 2010.
- "Election Results". South Carolina Election Commission.
- "Election Results by county". South Carolina Election Commission.
- "Curtis Loftis First Republican To Beat Incument In Statewide Primary". South Carolina Republican Party. Retrieved 05/08/2012. Check date values in:
- "SC at the RNC: The delegation". The State. 2012-05-23. Retrieved 06/12/2012. Check date values in:
- Braun, Martin (2012-05-25). "Hedge Funds Got Most South Carolina Fees While Lagging On Returns". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 06/11/2012. Check date values in:
- "Fox & Friends". Fox News Channel. 2012-01-17. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- "FOX Business 11am show". FOX Business Channel. 2011-08-16. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- "Hurricane Irene Interview". Fox Business Channel,. 2011-08-26. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- King, John (12-05-2011). "Who gains from no Cain?". CNN John King Live. Retrieved 29 March 2012. Check date values in:
- Bashir, Martin (01-16-2012). "Live Interview". MSNBC. Retrieved 29 March 2012. Check date values in:
- King, John (09-07-2011). "GOP Candidates Court SC Conservatives". CNN. Retrieved 29 March 2012. Check date values in:
- Matthews, Chris (2012-01-21). "SC Primary Night Coverage". MSNBC. Retrieved 29 March 2012.
- Martin, Michele (08-02-2011). "After Debt Fight, States Crave Stability". National Public Radio. Retrieved 29 March 2012. Check date values in:
- Curtis M. Loftis, Jr.'s channel on YouTube
- Curtis M. Loftis, Jr. on Twitter
- South Carolina State Treasurer's Official Website
- Official website
|Treasurer of South Carolina