Location in Ireland
|Coordinates: 52°49′06″N 7°28′32″W / 52.818429°N 7.47551°WCoordinates: 52°49′06″N 7°28′32″W / 52.818429°N 7.47551°W|
|Elevation||100 m (300 ft)|
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
|Irish Grid Reference||S390761|
A priory of Augustine canons was founded here in 550 by O'Dempsey, under the invocation of St. Tighernach who is now the patron saint of the area.
The village is home to an impressive early 15th century tower house, once the principal stronghold of the MacGillapatricks (or Fitzpatricks) of Upper Ossory. The castle bears the image of a sheela na gig.
Under their patronage, a medical school flourished at Aghmacart towland, about a mile from the castle from before 1500 to c.1610. It was conducted by the Ó Conchubhair family. Its physicians included Donnchadh Óg Ó Conchubhair (fl. 1581-1611), Risteard Ó Conchubhair (1561–1625), Donnchadh Albanach Ó Conchubhair (1571–1647) and Cathal Ó Duinnshléibhe (fl. 1592-1611).
Cullohill is surrounded by wonderful Irish countryside and has several public walkways from leisurely rambles to challenging treks up the nearby hills. Description of Walks on Laois Tourism website
The local GAA club is The Harps GAA which was formed in 1984 as an amalgamation with Durrow. Up until then Cullohill had its own hurling team and had won the Laois senior hurling championship in 1955 and 1964. The 1955 team was captained by Lar Dunphy and the 1964 team by Martin Mahony.
Darina Allen, née O'Connell, the well known TV chef and cookery book author, is a native of Cullohill. Her family remain there today where they own and run the local pub, The Sports Man's Inn, or O'Connell's, as it is more known locally.
- The medical school at Aghmacart, Queen's County, Aoibheann Nic Dhonnchadha, Ossory, Laois and Leinster 2, (2006)
- Cullohill Castle.
- Diocese of Ossary site with Parish details.
- Durrow Community Website
- Harps Camogie Club Website