Cry Wolf (1947 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Peter Godfrey|
|Produced by||Henry Blanke|
|Screenplay by||Catherine Turney|
the novel Cry Wolf|
by Marjorie Carleton
|Music by||Franz Waxman|
|Cinematography||Carl E. Guthrie|
|Edited by||Folmar Blangsted|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|18 July 1947|
|Box office||$2 million (US rentals)|
Sandra Marshall (Barbara Stanwyck), the widow of the owner of a remote mansion, arrives to take charge and claim the inheritance of her late husband. She receives a cold reception, especially from research scientist Mark Caldwell (Errol Flynn), who seems to be keeping her sister-in-law Julie (Geraldine Brooks) a virtual prisoner in the house.
- Errol Flynn as Mark Caldwell
- Barbara Stanwyck as Sandra Marshall
- Geraldine Brooks as Julie Demarest
- Richard Basehart as James Caldwell Demarest
- Jerome Cowan as Senator Charles Caldwell
- John Ridgely as Jackson Laidell
- Patricia Barry as Angela (as Patricia White)
- Rory Mallinson as Becket
- Helene Thimig as Marta
- Paul Stanton as Davenport
- Barry Bernard as Roberts
The novel was published in early 1945. The New York Times said "the plot has pace; the manse is traditionally eerie, the heroine is charming. Situations and dialogue, however, are often clumsily handled." By April, Warner Bros bought the film rights as a vehicle for Barbra Stanwyck. Catherine Turney was assigned to do the script and Denis Morgan announced as co star.
The film took a while to be made. In March 1946, Errol Flynn was announced as co star and Peter Godfrey as director. Dorothy Malone was originally announced to play the second lead. Two of the supporting cast were from the New York stage, Geraldine Brooks and Richard Basehart, and had just been put under contract by Warner Bros.
The film was not released until July 1947.
The Wall Street Journal said the film was "often as dull as it is frightening because its melodramatic story is full of cliches... without tommy gun or sword, Mr Flynn seems unhappily wooden." The Christian Science Monitor said it "grips the attention and holds it right through...the result is something well above average." "It's melodramatic antics are rather fun," said the Washington Post.
- RUSSELL TO STAR IN 'VELVET TOUCH': Sidney Greenstreet to Share Top Honors in Independent Artists' Production Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 18 July 1947: 21.
- "Top Grossers of 1947", Variety, 7 January 1948 p 63
- Cry Wolf at the American Film Institute Catalog.
- Other Items on the Fiction List New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 28 Jan 1945: BR10.
- SCREEN NEWS: TO AID ACTORS FUND Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 19 Apr 1945: 22.
- Looking at Hollywood Hopper, Hedda. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) [Chicago, Ill] 09 Aug 1945: 21.
- Looking at Hollywood Hopper, Hedda. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) [Chicago, Ill] 25 Mar 1946: 21.
- Hopper, Hedda. Looking at Hollywood. Chicago Daily Tribune, 7 May 1946: 18.
- Schallert, Edwin. "Stage Mimicry Leads Girl to Cinema Career". Los Angeles Times, 8 May 1946: A7.
- TONY MARTIN SET FOR M-G-M MUSICAL: Named Co-Star With Kathryn Grayson in 'Kissing Bandit' --3 Arrivals Due Today Of Local Origin Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 08 May 1946: 43.
- DRAMA AND FILM: Carter, Wynn Teaming in 'Century' Talked Up Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 22 Apr 1947: A3.
- The Theatre: Murder in a Laboratory Wall Street Journal (1923 - Current file) [New York, N.Y] 21 July 1947: 10.
- David Niven As Doctor In 'Other Love': 'Cry Wolf' D.M.D.M.. The Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file) [Boston, Mass] 08 Aug 1947: 5.
- Melodramatic Antics: 'Cry Wolf' Mixes Stanwyck, Flynn By Richard L. Coe. The Washington Post (1923-1954) [Washington, D.C] 08 Aug 1947: 23.
- 'CRY WOLF' ERRATIC Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 09 Aug 1947: A5.
- Tony Thomas, Rudy Behlmer * Clifford McCarty, The Films of Errol Flynn, Citadel Press, 1969 p 147.
- Cry Wolf at the American Film Institute Catalog
- Cry Wolf at the Internet Movie Database
- Cry Wolf at AllMovie
- Cry Wolf at the TCM Movie Database
- Cry Wolf film trailer on YouTube