Crosstown, Missouri, roadsign
Location of Perry County, Missouri
|Coordinates: 37°44′47″N 89°43′40″W / 37.74639°N 89.72778°WCoordinates: 37°44′47″N 89°43′40″W / 37.74639°N 89.72778°W|
|Elevation||564 ft (172 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||716539|
Crosstown was settled in 1840s as a farming community, but never had a name until a post office was established which was reportedly named for its crossroads location. The post office operated from 1886–1954
It is most notable for being devastated by an F4 tornado on September 22, 2006, although no one was killed.
Tornado 2006 damage
Zion Lutheran rebuilt following 2006 tornado
Crosstown has three churches in the very small community. There is St. James Catholic Church founded 1890. The Baptist church is Bethlehem Baptist Church, which was destroyed by the tornado in 2006. All that was left was the foundation. The church congregation decided to rebuild at the same location and consecrated their new church in 2007. The Lutheran church is Zion Lutheran Church of Crosstown. After the tornado, there wasn't a roof nor windows in the building. Miraculously, the Catholic Church had no real damage done except the stain glass windows which were all broken.
Old Earl Farrar General Store
St. James Roman Catholic Church
Zion Lutheran Church
Bethlehem Baptist Church
- Missouri Hometown Locator http://missouri.hometownlocator.com/mo/perry/crosstown.cfm
- US-Zip.com http://www.us-zip.org/missouri/farrar/
- Roadside Thoughts.com http://www.roadsidethoughts.com/mo/crosstown-misc.htm
- Bill Earngey (1995). "Missouri Roadsides: The Traveler's Companion". ISBN 9780826210210.
- Missouri State Historical Society http://shs.umsystem.edu/manuscripts/ramsay/ramsay_perry.html
- Missouri Postal History.com "Archived copy". Archived from the original on October 21, 2013. Retrieved September 19, 2013.
- "Crosstown residents talk about F4 tornado four years later". KFVS12 News. September 22, 2010.
- Jennifer Freeze (September 26, 2006). "'Tornado took it all'". Southeast Missourian.
- Archdiocese of Saint Louis: Parishes http://archstl.org/app/directory/parishes/1000178
- Lutheran.com: churches by state http://www.lutherans.com/churches/by_state.php?state=MO&branch=LCMS&city=Crosstown