Crimea Memorial Church
|Crimea Memorial Church|
|Location||Serdar-ı Ekrem Sokak, Beyoğlu, İstanbul|
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Architect(s)||George Edmund Street|
|Diocese||Diocese of Gibraltar in Europe|
|Chaplain(s)||Canon Ian Sherwood|
The current church was built on land donated by Sultan Abdulmecit and was constructed between 1858-68 in memory of British soldiers who had participated in the Crimean War.
The idea of building a memorial church in Istanbul was first raised in 1856 and a competition held. Designs were submitted by the architect William Burges and he was declared the winner. However, in-fighting on the approval committee, coupled with concerns regarding the supposed "un-English" style of Burges' design, led to his being removed as architect in 1863 and his replacement by George Edmund Street. The church was completed by the end of the 19th century and closed in 1978 due to the lack of a congregation. It re-opened in 1991.
- Anglicans Istanbul website : http://anglicansistanbul.blogspot.com/
- Mordaunt-Crook, J (1981). William Burges and the High Victorian Dream. London: John Murray. p. not cited. ISBN 0-7195-3822-X.
- The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/jan/23/istanbul-shopping-mosque-eating-museum