Countess Louise Sophie of Danneskiold-Samsøe
|Countess Louise Sophie af Danneskiold-Samsøe|
Countess Louise Sophie af Danneskiold-Samsøe
|Duchess consort of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg|
|Tenure||18 September 1820 – 11 March 1867|
|Predecessor||Princess Louise Auguste of Denmark|
|Successor||Princess Adelheid of Hohenlohe-Langenburg|
|Spouse(s)||Christian August II, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg|
|Noble family||House of Danneskiold-Samsøe|
|Father||Christian Conrad, Count af Danneskiold-Samsøe|
|Mother||Johanne Henriette Valentine Kaas|
22 September 1796|
11 March 1867 70) (aged|
Countess Louise Sophie af Danneskiold-Samsøe (1796 – 1867) was a member of a Danish noble family descended illegitimately from Christian V of Denmark and the wife of Christian August II, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg. She was the grandmother of German Empress Auguste Victoria, wife of the last German Emperor Wilhelm II.
Countess Louise Sophie af Danneskiold-Samsøe was born on 22 September 1796 in Gisselfeld, Denmark to Christian Conrad, Count af Danneskiold-Samsøe (1774–1823) and his wife Johanne Henriette Valentine Kaas (1776–1843), daughter of the Danish Admiral Frederik Christian Kaas and a descendant of the war hero Jørgen Kaas. The House of Danneskiold-Samsøe is a non-dynastic branch of the House of Oldenburg, descended from Christian Gyldenløve, Count of Samsø, an illegitimate son of Christian V of Denmark by his mistress Sophie Amalie Moth.
Marriage and issue
On 18 September 1820 she married Christian August II, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg at the Church of Braaby, Gisselfeld. They had seven children:
- Prince Alexander Frederick William Christian Charles Augustus (20 July 1821 - 3 May 1823), died young
- Princess Louise Auguste (28 August 1823 - 30 May 1872)
- Princess Caroline Amelie (15 January 1826 - 3 May 1901)
- Princess Wilhelmine (24 March 1828 - 4 July 1829)
- Prince Frederick Christian August (6 July 1829 - 14 January 1880), later Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg. He married Princess Adelheid of Hohenlohe-Langenburg became father of one surviving son and a number of daughters including Augusta Viktoria, German Empress.
- Frederick Christian Charles Augustus (22 January 1831 – 28 October 1917), he married Princess Helena of the United Kingdom, and settled in England. They were the parents of Albert, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein.
- Princess Caroline Christiane Auguste Emilie Henriette Elisabeth (2 August 1833 - 18 October 1917), married in 1872 Johann Friedrich von Esmarch (9 January 1823 - 23 February 1908)
Later life and death
|Ancestors of Countess Louise Sophie of Danneskiold-Samsøe|
Titles and styles
- 22 September 1796 – 18 September 1820: Countess Louise Sophie af Danneskiold-Samsøe
- 18 September 1820 – 11 March 1867: Her Serene Highness the Duchess of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg