|Comune di Cossato|
Location of Cossato in Italy
|Coordinates: IT 45°34′N 08°10′E / 45.567°N 8.167°E|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Biella (BI)|
|Frazioni||Bertinotto, Castellazzo, Castellengo, Cerro, Lavino, Lorazzo, Masseria, Monteferrario, Parlamento, Ronco, Spolina|
|• Mayor||Claudio Corradino|
|• Total||27 km2 (10 sq mi)|
|Elevation||257 m (843 ft)|
|Population (31 September 2010)|
|• Density||560/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Assumption of Mary|
|Saint day||August 15|
Cossato is a municipality in the province of Biella, Italy, in the northwest part of Piedmont, 11.6 kilometres (7.2 mi) east of Biella. It has a population of ca 14.826 and it spreads over an area of 27,74 km², being the second town in order of size and importance in the Province of Biella. It is crossed by the Strona di Mosso stream.
The city is the second largest town in the Biella province by population and economic importance; It has an urban development that follows the direction of the major roads: the center is along the Biella-Gattinara former state, and the numerous hamlets are scattered along the road to Mottalciata baraggivo plateau and the hills towards Quaregna, Lessona and Valle Mosso.
Monuments and places of interest
- Parish dedicated to the Assumption, built before 1000. It was rebuilt in 1614 after the collapse, which occurred two years before.
- Castle Castellengo , on the edge of the Baragge of Candelo.
- Church of SS. Peter and Paul, near the Castellengo Castle. medieval building restored over the years with the addition of different styles.
- Villa Ranzoni, eighteenth-century building houses the Municipal Library.
- Villa Fecia, building belonging to Fecia accounts of Cossato including a large park and a church, the Oratory of Santa Margherita (in medieval style).
- Villa Berlanghino, in the neoclassical style. It is a large building with an impressive wooden staircase and a public park outside.
- Natural reserve of Baragge
The city center develops around the Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta. The oldest part is the one that surrounds the actual Piazza Gramsci. Recently we have been made pedestrian plaza Church and the way of connecting the latter Church square with Piazza Angiono, the town hall. The building that houses the administrative offices was bought by Gian Matteo Cridis and for such use since the first half of the nineteenth century. In the center there are also the nursery schools, elementary and middle (housed in the palace once headquarters of GIL) and the public library at Villa Ranzoni. Red Cross in the square is held weekly market that made it famous Cossato as a center for meeting and exchange between the plain and the Strona Valley.