Cork Athletic Grounds

Cork Athletic Grounds
Páirc Lúthchleasaíochta Chorcaí
Location Ballintemple, Cork City, Ireland
Field size 135 x 85 m
Opened 11 September 1904 (1904-09-11)
Closed 1974

The Cork Athletic Grounds was a Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) stadium where major hurling and football matches were played. Situated in the Ballintemple area of Cork in Ireland, it was the home of Cork GAA between 1904 and 1974. The stadium was demolished in 1974 and replaced by Páirc Uí Chaoimh.


In late 1902 an attempt was made by the Cork County Board of the GAA to provide Cork city with a dedicated athletic stadium. A new company, the Cork Athletic Grounds Committee Ltd., was established under the chairmanship of James Crosbie. The county board invested £30 in the venture and a member of the board was appointed as a director. The subscriptions for the share capital reached sufficient funds, and in early 1903 a lease for six acres was drawn up between the Cork Agricultural Society, the Cork Corporation and the Cork County Board treasurer John FitzGerald. The official opening of the venue was in September 1904, for the (delayed) 1902 All-Ireland football and 1902 All-Ireland hurling finals.[1]

The stadium was initially intended to cater for various sports,[2] and it was even earmarked to hold a rugby union international between Ireland and Wales. By 1906, the Athletic Grounds were used exclusively for Gaelic games.[2]


  1. Eamonn Sweeney (2012). O'Brien Pocket History of Gaelic Sport. O'Brien Press. ISBN 9781847175212.
  2. 1 2 "Cork Athletic Grounds/Páirc Uí Chaoimh". Archived from the original on 3 March 2011.
Preceded by
Jones' Road
All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship
Final Venue

Succeeded by
Fraher Field
Jones' Road

This article is issued from Wikipedia - version of the 11/30/2016. The text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike but additional terms may apply for the media files.