The cathedral construction began in 1498 at the site of an older Visigothic cathedral and a later mosque. The cloister was built in the 14th century. In the next century designs for the church were pursued by Martín de Solorzano and Pedro de Ybarra. The nave has Gothic tracery, while the facades and doorways show Renaissance decoration. The church suffered from the Earthquake of Lisbon (1755), when its belltower fell.
- Spain Tourism office, information on church.