|Look up competence or incompetence in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Competence may refer to:
- Competence (biology), the ability of a cell to take up DNA
- Competence (geology), the resistance of a rock against either erosion or deformation
- Competence (human resources), a standardized requirement for an individual to properly perform a specific job
- Competence (law), the mental capacity of an individual to participate in legal proceedings
- Jurisdiction, the authority of a legal body to deal with and make pronouncements on legal matters and, by implication, to administer justice within a defined area of responsibility
- Linguistic competence, the ability to speak and understand language.
- Communicative competence, the ability to speak and understand language.