|Dissolved||April 17, 1956|
Belgrade, Yugoslavia (1947–1948)|
Bucharest, Romania (1948–1956)
|Newspaper||For Lasting Peace, for People's Democracy!|
Founded in 1947, "Cominform" (Communist Information Bureau) is the common name for what was officially referred to as the Information Bureau of the Communist and Workers' Parties. It was the first official forum of the international communist movement since the dissolution of the Comintern, and confirmed the new realities after World War II, including the creation of an Eastern Bloc.
The intended purpose of Cominform was to coordinate actions between Communist parties under Soviet direction. It had its own newspaper, For Lasting Peace, for People's Democracy!
Cominform was a Soviet-dominated organization of Communist parties founded in September 1947 at a conference of Communist party leaders in Szklarska Poręba, Poland. Soviet leader Josef Stalin called the conference in response to divergences among communist governments on whether or not to attend the Paris Conference on Marshall Plan in July 1947.
Cominform was initially located in Belgrade (then the capital of the Federative People's Republic of Yugoslavia). After the expulsion of Yugoslavia from the group in June 1948, the seat was moved to Bucharest, Romania. The expulsion of the Communist Party of Yugoslavia from Cominform for Titoism initiated the Informbiro period in that country's history.
- Bulgarian Communist Party
- Communist Party of Czechoslovakia
- French Communist Party
- Hungarian Working People's Party
- Italian Communist Party
- Polish United Workers' Party
- Romanian Workers' Party
- Communist Party of the Soviet Union
- Communist Party of Yugoslavia (until its expulsion in June 1948)
- Communist Party of the Free Territory of Trieste (until Yugoslavia's expulsion of 1948)
- G. Procacci (ed.), The Cominform. Minutes of the Three Conferences (1947-1949). Milan, Italy: Feltrinelli, 1994.