|São Francisco Xavier (Coloane)|
Saint Francis Xavier
Freguesia de São Francisco Xavier in Macau
|Coordinates: 22°07′34″N 113°34′01″E / 22.12611°N 113.56694°ECoordinates: 22°07′34″N 113°34′01″E / 22.12611°N 113.56694°E|
|Special Administrative Region||Macau|
|• Total||7.6 km2 (2.9 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Macau Standard (UTC+8)|
Coloane, officially Freguesia de São Francisco Xavier, is one of the two main islands of the Macau. The island is located directly south of Macau's other main island, Taipa (氹仔), and east of Hengqin Island of Zhuhai in Guangdong province, China.
Coloane was known in Cantonese as Gau Ou Saan (九澳山, lit. "Nine-inlet Mountain", transcribed in Portuguese as Ká-Hó) and Yim Zou Waan (鹽灶灣, lit. "Salt-stove Bay"). The Portuguese name "Coloane" is derived from the Cantonese pronunciation of Gwo Lou Waan (過路環, lit. "Passing-road Ring").
Coloane has an area of 8.07 km2 (3 sq mi), is 4 km (2 mi) long and is 5.6 km (3 mi) from the Macau Peninsula. The narrowest part of Coloane is 300 metres (980 ft). The highest points in Macau are eastern and central Coloane, with the highest point being the 170.6 metres (560 ft) Coloane Alto (Chinese: 疊石塘山, Portuguese: Alto de Coloane).
In the past, Coloane was separated from Taipa by the Seac Pai Bay, which was crossed by a 2.2 kilometres (1.4 mi) causeway, the Estrada do Istmo, connecting Coloane to Taipa. However land reclamation has physically connected the two islands and a new town called Cotai has been built between Taipa and Coloane, which is home to the Cotai Strip and several other casinos under development.
The northern shore of the island is 4.5 metres (15 ft) deep, and is the site of the Macau Deepwater Port.
From the Song dynasty onwards and until the Portuguese arrival in 1864, Coloane was a sea salt farm for China. After their arrival, the Portuguese made Macau an important trading port, but Coloane remained largely deserted, and was used as a base by pirates until 1910. The island became more populated after the Estrada do Istmo was completed in 1969.
The village centers on Eduardo Marques Square, which is a rectangle paved in cobblestones that are black, white and yellow, laid out in a wavy pattern reminiscent of the sea. The square faces a seaside promenade that traces the channel dividing Macau from the hills of China proper. At the eastern end of the square stands the Chapel of St. Francis Xavier, built in 1928.
A Tam Kung Temple is located at the southern end of Avenida de Cinco de Outubro (十月初五馬路).
- Temples (from north to south)
- Sam Seng Temple (三圣宫), also called Kam Fa Temple (金花庙), located at 2 Rua dos Navegantes in Coloane Village. Dedicated to Kam Fa, Kun Iam and Va Kuong, it was built in 1865.
- Kun Iam Temple (Coloane), located at Travessa do Caetano.
- Old Tin Hau Temple (天后古廟) in Coloane Village
- Tam Kung Temple (譚公廟) in Coloane Village. Dedicated to Lord Tam, a Taoist god of seafarers, it was built in 1862.
- Chapel of St. Francis Xavier (聖方濟各聖堂), of the Freguesia de São Francisco Xavier (聖方濟各堂區). The chapel, built in 1928, is located on the southwestern coast of the island and stands near a monument commemorating a victory over pirates in 1910. The chapel used to contain some of the most sacred Christian relics in Asia, including the remains of 26 foreign and Japanese Catholic priests who were crucified in Nagasaki in 1597, as well as those of some of the Japanese Christians who were killed during the Shimabara Rebellion in 1637. They are now located in the Museum of Sacred Art, opened in 1996 next to the Ruins of St. Paul's. Another relic was a bone from the arm of St. Francis Xavier, who died in 1552 on Shangchuan Island, 50 miles (80 km) from Macau. This relic has been transferred to St. Joseph's Church.
- Chapel of St. Francis Xavier
- Hac Sa Park
- Macao Giant Panda Pavilion
- Natural and Agrarian Museum
- Seac Pai Van Park
- Hung Shing Temple in Hac Sa Village
- Sam Seng Temple (三圣庙), in the Ka Ho (九澳) area, in the northeastern part of the island
- Kun Iam Temple (Ka Ho)
- A-Ma Statue (媽祖像), built on October 28, 1998 (lunar calendar: September 9)
- Church of Our Lady of Sorrows (九澳七苦聖母小堂), in the Ká-Hó area
- "Fernando", a Portuguese restaurant at Baía de Hác Sá, is famous amongst locals in Macau and visitors from Hong Kong
- Tam Kung Temple
- Old Tin Hau Temple
- Southern coast of Coloane
- Bus stop at Hac Sa Beach
Coloane is served by buses and taxis.
- Kam Fa Temple (Coloane), in Macau Temple Civilization website
- Sam Seng Kong Temple, in Macau Streets website
- Sam Seng Temple in Coloane, in Ola! Macau Tourism Guide
- Kun Iam Temple (Coloane), in Macau Temple Civilization website
- Ancient Tin Hau Temple in Coloane, in Ola! Macau Tourism Guide
- Tam Kung Temple in Coloane, in Ola! Macau Tourism Guide
- Tam Kong Temple, on Macau Government Tourist Office website
- Chapel of St. Francis Xavier, on Macau Government Tourist Office website
- Hung Shing Temple in Hac Sa Village, in Macau Temple Civilization website
- Sam Seng Temple, in Macau Temple Civilization website
- Kun Iam Temple (Ka Ho), in Macau Temple Civilization website
- Our Lady of Sorrows Church, on Macau Government Tourist Office website
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Coloane.|
||Cotai Landfill Zone|
|Xiangzhou District||South China Sea|
|South China Sea||South China Sea|