Colin S. Gray
Colin S. Gray (born 1943) is a British-American strategic thinker and professor of International Relations and Strategic Studies at the University of Reading, where he is the director of the Centre for Strategic Studies. In addition, he is a Senior Associate to the National Institute for Public Policy.
Gray was educated at the University of Manchester and the University of Oxford. He worked at the International Institute for Strategic Studies and the Hudson Institute, before founding the National Institute for Public Policy in Washington, D.C. He has also served as a defence adviser both to the British and U.S. governments. Gray served from 1982 until 1987 in the Reagan Administration's General Advisory Committee on Arms Control and Disarmament. Furthermore, he has taught at the University of Hull, the University of Lancaster, York University, Toronto and University of British Columbia. Gray has published 23 books on military history and strategic studies, as well as numerous articles.
- Canadian Defence Policy: A Question of Priorities (Toronto: Clarke, Irwin, 1972).
- The Soviet-American Arms Race (Lexington, MA: Lexington Books, 1976).
- The MX ICBM and National Security (New York: Praeger, 1981).
- Strategic Studies: A Critical Assessment (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1982).
- Strategic Studies and Public Policy:The American Experience (Lexington, KY: The University Press of Kentucky, 1982).
- American Military Space Policy: Information Systems, Weapon Systems, and Arms Control (Cambridge, MA:Abt, 1983).
- Nuclear Strategy and National Style (Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 1986)
- The Geopolitics of Super Power (Lexington, KY:University Press of Kentucky, 1988).
- War, Peace, and Victory:Strategy and Statecraft for the Next Century (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1990).
- House of Cards: Why Arms Control Must Fail (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1992).
- The Leverage of Sea Power: The Strategic Advantage of Navies in War (New York: The Free Press, 1992).
- Weapons Don't Make War:Policy, Strategy, and Technology (Lawrence, KS:University Press of Kansas, 1993).
- The Navy in the Post-Cold War World:The Uses and Value of Strategic Sea Power (University Park, PA: Penn State University Press, 1994).
- Explorations in Strategy (Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1996; 1998 sec. ed. pb [Praeger]).
- The Second Nuclear Age (Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 1999).
- Modern Strategy (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999).
- Strategy for Chaos: Revolutions in Military Affairs and Other Evidence of History (London:: Frank Cass, 2002).
- The Sheriff: America's Defense of the New World Order (Lexington, KY: The University Press of Kentucky, 2004).
- Another Bloody Century: Future Warfare (London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 2005)
- Strategy and History:Essays on Theory and Practice (Abingdon, UK: Routledge, 2006).
- War, Peace, and International Relations. An Introduction to Strategic History (Abingdon, UK:Routledge, 2007).
- Airpower for Strategic Effect (Maxwell AFB, AL: Air University Press, 2012).